Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

WD External Hard Drive is no linger working - please help!

• Please log in to reply

kamiles

kamiles

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello,

I am wondeing if anyone could help me; last night I was using my WD External Hard Drive (250 GB) fine, i go to use it this morning and my computer won't read it anymore. My hard drive still makes the whirling noise when it is plugged in but after that nothing has happened.

I have had a look on other posts and have gone to see if the device manager can read it but nothing comes up - I didn't know if there were any other tricks to be able to get my hard drive to be read on my computer again?

Thank you for your time!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts
Hi kamiles,
You may have a temperamental USB port or the cable itself could be the cause of the issue, how long is it, try a shorter USB cable if you have one, or with the computer shut down disconnect the drive from the computer and then reboot without it, shut down again and connect the drive to another USB port if you have one and then reboot and see if it is detected, check in the BIOS that the USB ports have not somehow been disabled.
If the above doesn`t sort it check this link out http://support.micro...kb/925196/en-us