Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with HDD

• Please log in to reply

Carl_E

Carl_E

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi,
hope someone may have an angle on this one.
Dell Vostro Laptop Win 7 with Hitachi 7K500-320GB HDD
Suddenly stopped working but boots into a Startup Repair screen and the message "Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically" appear
I tried the other options too, but nothing seemed to help.
Finally started a 'Command Prompt' and did a 'CHKDSK /r' which got to 11% of phase 4 and and didn't move from there for 36 hours so I turned it off.
Now when I boot it says 'PXE-E61:Media Test Failure, check cable'
Dell website says reseat the HDD, but this does nothing.
Removed HDD into an enclosure to read on another PC (WIn 7 and XP) as a USB HDD. Win 7 says it doesn't have the drivers for this disk, and XP after a very long time mounts the drive, but I cannot do anything with it. An hour glass appears for ages, then goes away, but nothing happens.
I suspect the HDD is completely gone, ut before I buy another, does anyone have any suggestions.
Thanks in advance for your help
Carl

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Now when I boot it says 'PXE-E61:Media Test Failure, check cable'

'PXE' is a Preboot eXecution Environment that is used to boot computers via a network adapter. So, apparently, when your computer could not find anything else to boot from, it was trying PXE as a last resort.

I suspect the HDD is completely gone, ut before I buy another, does anyone have any suggestions.

If you 'gotta have' your data, think Ontrack.com.

(Note that it can get expen$ive. A backup would be a mere fraction of the cost).

Carl_E

Carl_E

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks all for the input.... yea, backups taken, but not regularly enough I guess.
It's under warranty, so free replacement HDD winging its way to me now.
It was only 6 months old too!!!
Just another example of the need to "BACKUP REGULARLY" (picture this in 10'tall 3D effect red capital letters that flash on and off!!!!

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
:D ;)