Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Norton AntiVirus 2005 Auto Protect Disabled

• Please log in to reply

nardone777

nardone777

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Suddenly and for no apparent reason, Norton AntiVirus 2005 Auto Protect is disabled. It cannot be turned on from the main screen, or enabled from the Options screen, from within Norton Internet Security or Norton SystemWorks. The attempt results in an error box saying "Norton AntiVirus has encountered an internal program error" code "4002,517" and a link to the Symantec Knowledge Base (http://service1.syma...seg=hho&src=_mi) to run the Auto Fix Tool.

Unfortunately, the Auto Fix download ends prematurely, with a message "Automated Task Failed", and the tool is not installed or executed. (Also attempted from http://us.norton.com...0080521124356EN with the same result.) I have not found any other way to manually download and/or run the Auto Fix Tool.

I've researched the problem, including here at Geeks to Go, and tried a number of suggestions.

- I've already followed all the usual malware steps, being a previous supplicant here at Geeks to Go.
- Norton AntiVirus, SpySweeper, SpyBot Search & Destroy, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, and SuperAntiSpyware all find nothing.
- HijackThis log appears clean to me, and I can post it if this is the correct location to do so.
- Windows Firewall is not on, and I have no other firewall applications.
- msconfig and regedit both confirm that the path name to ccapp.exe is correct and bounded by quotes.
- There is no ccregvfy.exe entry, but I don't know if that's applicable to this version.
- Administrative Tools > Services screen claims that the Auto-Protect Service is Started and Automatic, and so are the Core LC, Event Manager, Event Notification, and other Symantec services.
- The only recent system events that I can recall in the past week were one or more automated Windows updates, and the usual weekly downloads of updated definitions for the above mentioned tools.
- I did perform an uninstall and reinstall of Norton Internet Security. The PC then began to crash and restart itself repeatedly at the Windows Logon screen. I had to boot into Safe Mode, and then restore prior to the uninstall, to escape from that. I hope I don't have to try that again.

I'd prefer not to upgrade to a newer version of NAV (yes, it's the $$$) if this can be fixed.

I did find the following tantalizing statement, by user "Michelle", in topic "12070-virus-disables-norton-auto-protect-resolved" from 2005: "I know how to fix auto-protect on Norton. Something removes a file from Startup that it needs for auto-protect. Just a simple registry edit is all it takes to put the file back into Startup." However, Michelle did not provide the details, and I haven't found anything like that in my research.

I am running Windows XP Home SP3, on an AMD Sempron 140 processor.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks ! ~ Bill ~

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Run this:
http://us.norton.com...3834EN&ln=en_US

This'll get shot of it. Restart and then reinstall the software.