Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Easiest way to downgrade from Windows 7 to XP

• Please log in to reply

shelley64

shelley64

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I've bought a new HP Pavilion p6710tPC and of course it has Windows 7. Appplications I use for work cannot be used with Win 7 and my office doesn't allow the use of virtual office where I could have used the Win 7 in XP mode. I will need to reinstall XP from the dead computer and I have the CD. My question is how hard is it to do this? You walked me through getting rid of a trojan horse that the tech guy I hired couldn't fix, so I can follow directions. I found directions at http://www.jakeludin...windows_xp.html what appears to be simple enough to follow, but when I talked with a tech guy (different one, I moved) he says it isn't so easy and would take him about 3 hours (at $80 an hour). No one wants to spend money if they don't have to. I searched the site here but didn't see any particular instructions to do this. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Shelley

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
I assume you still want to keep windows 7 since you've already paid for it as a pre-installed copy?

If you do, you'll need to set up a "dual boot" arrangement which prompts you to select Windows 7 or windows XP everytime you start up your PC.
Whilst it's easier to simply replace Windows 7 with Windows XP, I don't advise it because you won't be able to get windows 7 back.

There's a tutorial here for installing XP in a dual boot configuration when Windows 7 is already installed:
http://webtrickz.com...in-a-dual-boot/

Bear in mind that when you've installed XP you'll need to install any missing device drivers by installing them from within Windows XP, and they will all have to be Windows XP compatible. The existing drivers for the Windows 7 installation won't work on XP. If the HP website does not list any XP drivers for your Pavilion model you may have some difficulty getting the right ones because HP often have custom-made drivers specially made. I suggest you check the HP website first, to see if they support windows XP on that Pavilion model. If they don't have any XP drivers for your model, you may find that you can't get the sound-card or graphics-card to work properly, or some other devices, when you're using XP on it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Also be aware that if you do completely erase Win7 you could take the chance of voiding your warranty since the system was sold with Win7 and the manufacturer won't warranty compatibility with a older OS that was not originally installed on the system.

shelley64

shelley64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Thanks for the reply. I'm not as much concerened with keeping Win 7 as I am getting back to work quickly and my apps working. I thought I would copy Win 7 and all the applicable drivers for future use and just install the Win XP from the other computer and keep things somewhat simple. The HP tech said they would send a disk so I could downgrade. Is there something special I need or just my XP CDs? I realize I'll need to get the drivers and everything and copy over the applications. I'm getting a headache just thinking about it.

Shelley

shelley64

shelley64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Thanks for the info on the warranty. I'll keep it in mind.

Shelley

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
According to HP's site the only OS supported for that model is Win7. Not sure what HP is going to send since they show no support at all for XP or Vista for your model.
Check HERE to see the OS supported for your system.
This could be a huge problem since there is no drivers for your system for XP which means sound, video, nic and motherboard chipset drivers may not work.