Good. I concur the age of the machine is very probably a issue. Freeing up some further Hard-Drive free space may assist, some in-depth System Maintenance(defag' & check-disk etc). It may be also that the platters within the actual Hard-Drive itself are worn and this would affect overall performance also. Might be a idea to check the cooling vents are not clogged with debris as Laptops are prone to overheating issues and consider purchasing a Laptop Fan Stand to assist with cooling.
Computer seems to be running faster at least starting up and getting the desktop open. It's still slow as a hog doing anything though (I think that I am not much older than the laptop).
No we are not quite done with the Malware Removal process just yet...but by all means I will try and assist with this issue you have mentioned.
If we are about done with the malware, would you please help me with the sleep/hibernate problem? The only options at all are log off, shut down, and restart. It wasn't always like this but it seems like it could be a group policy thing.
TFC(Temp File Cleaner):
- Please download TFC to your desktop,
- Save any unsaved work. TFC will close all open application windows.
- Double-click TFC.exe to run the program.
- If prompted, click "Yes" to reboot.
ESET Online Scanner:
Note: You can use either Internet Explorer or Mozilla FireFox for this scan. You will however need to disable your current installed Anti-Virus, how to do so can be read here.
- Please go here then click on:
Note: If using Mozilla Firefox you will need to download esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe when prompted then double click on it to install.
All of the below instructions are compatible with either Internet Explorer or Mozilla FireFox.
- When prompted allow the Add-On/Active X to install.
- Make sure that the option Remove found threats is NOT checked, and the option Scan archives is checked.
- Now click on Advanced Settings and select the following:
- Scan for potentially unwanted applications
- Scan for potentially unsafe applications
- Enable Anti-Stealth Technology
- Now click on:
- The virus signature database... will begin to download. Be patient this make take some time depending on the speed of your Internet Connection.
- When completed the Online Scan will begin automatically.
- Do not touch either the Mouse or keyboard during the scan otherwise it may stall.
- When completed select Uninstall application on close if you so wish, make sure you copy the logfile first!
- Now click on:
- Use notepad to open the logfile located at C:\Program Files\ESET\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt.
- Copy and paste that log as a reply to this topic.