Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boots to black screen with blinking cursor

• Please log in to reply

stevenmorgan94

stevenmorgan94

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My hard drive was making some noises and would occasionally fail to boot, or on occasion say "operating system not found." So I opened it up and tried replacing the hard drive with another that I have of the same brand and size. When I started it it beeped repeatably as to hint a hard ware failure. So I put back in the old drive and tried to reinstall Windows on it. I put in a boot disk and changed the BIOS boot order and now it beeps sometimes, sometimes not. And it shows a quick log of the boot list and then goes to a black screen with the blinking cursor. Ive tried changing boot order, inserting and removing disks, unplugging unnecessary hardware, and checking to make sure all internal hardware is plugged in and seated correctly. Please help.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Did you try to connect your hd on another computer (as a slave if and IDE hd)to see if you can read it.

if you unplug your hd and leave it empty are you able to boot from the cd/dvd-rom

if your hd is readable in another computer, use the appropriate diagnostic tool (from the maker of your hd) and test your hd to see if it is failing.

"operating system not found." usually means that either your MBR or boot sector are corrupted or your hd is damage if the bios can read the hd, when you go into the bios is your hd detected everytime.

What model and type is your computer (laptop, desktop, HP ??, DELL??, ASus ???, Gygabyte ??? ect).
What was the beeps sequences when you tried to install the other hd.