Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Website Redirect Virus

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

sumitkhanna

sumitkhanna

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,
When I use either IE or Firefox I keep getting redirected to other websites. This situation has become progressively worse. I tried a lot of solutions but none seem to work.
I have run a scan by OTL and here is the output
i would really appreciate ur help
Regards
Sumit

Attached Files

Advertisements

maliprog

maliprog

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 6,172 posts
Hello sumitkhanna and welcome to G2G! :D

My nick is maliprog and I'll will be your technical support on this issue. Before we start please read my notes carefully:

NOTE:
  • Malware removal is NOT instantaneous, most infections require several courses of action to completely eradicate.
  • Absence of symptoms does not always mean the computer is clean
  • Kindly follow my instructions in the order posted. Order is crucial in cleaning process.
  • Please DO NOT run any scans or fix on your own without my direction.
  • Please read all of my response through at least once before attempting to follow the procedures described.
  • If there's anything you don't understand or isn't totally clear, please come back to me for clarification.
  • Please do not attach any log files to your replies unless I specifically ask you. Instead please copy and paste so as to include the log in your reply.
  • You must reply within three days or your topic will be closed

Step 1

Please read carefully and follow these steps.
  • Download TDSSKiller and save it to your Desktop.
  • Extract its contents to your desktop.
  • Once extracted, open the TDSSKiller folder and doubleclick on TDSSKiller.exe to run the application, then on Start Scan.

Posted Image
  • If an infected file is detected, the default action will be Cure, click on Continue.

Posted Image
  • If a suspicious file is detected, the default action will be Skip, click on Continue.

Posted Image
  • It may ask you to reboot the computer to complete the process. Click on Reboot Now.

Posted Image
  • If no reboot is require, click on Report. A log file should appear. Please copy and paste the contents of that file here.
  • If a reboot is required, the report can also be found in your root directory, (usually C:\ folder) in the form of "TDSSKiller.[Version]_[Date]_[Time]_log.txt". Please copy and paste the contents of that file here.

Step 2

Please download MBRCheck.exe to your desktop.

• Double click to run it
  • It will prompt you with some text
  • A text file will be generated on your desktop
  • Now paste that text here for me.

Step 3

Download GMER from Here. Note the file's name and save it to your root folder, such as C:.
  • Disconnect from the Internet and close all running programs.
  • Temporarily disable any real-time active protection so your security program drivers will not conflict with this file.
  • Click on this link to see a list of programs that should be disabled.
  • Double-click on the downloaded file to start the program. (If running Vista, right click on it and select "Run as an Administrator")
  • Allow the driver to load if asked.
  • You may be prompted to scan immediately if it detects rootkit activity.
  • If you are prompted to scan your system click "No", save the log and post back the results.
  • If not prompted, click the "Rootkit/Malware" tab.
  • On the right-side, all items to be scanned should be checked by default except for "Show All". Leave that box unchecked.
  • Select all drives that are connected to your system to be scanned.
  • Click the Scan button to begin. (Please be patient as it can take some time to complete)
  • When the scan is finished, click Save to save the scan results to your Desktop.
  • Save the file as Results.log and copy/paste the contents in your next reply.
  • Exit the program and re-enable all active protection when done.

Step 4

Please don't forget to include these items in your reply:

• TDSSKiller log
  • MBRCheck log
  • GMER log
It would be helpful if you could post each log in separate post

sumitkhanna

sumitkhanna

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
hi mailprog,
I actually was doing some research and found that the issues were with my router.
What i did was that i shutdown my router. Removed the internet connection wire with the modem.
Reset it to the factory settings. Then restarted the router and connected to the modem
From my laptop i went to the routerlogin.net page and changed bot the admin password and my wep2 passphrase.
Since that time i havent had any issues.
I had previously run tdsskiller and mbrac but they were not able to detect any issues.
Hope this helps other people with same problem

maliprog

maliprog

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 6,172 posts
Hi user,

Good job :D . If you don't have any other problems I will clean up your PC from programs we used.

Step 1

Please start OTL one more time and click CleanUp button. OTL will restart your system at the end.

General recommendations

Here are some recommendations you should follow to minimize infection risk in the future:

1. Enable Windows Update
  • Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl, and then press ENTER.
  • Click the Automatic Updates tab, and then click to select one of the following options. We recommend that you select the Automatic (recommended) Automatically download recommended updates for my computer and install them option.
  • Click OK button

2. Delete Temp files

Download TFC to your desktop
  • Open the file and close any other windows.
  • It will close all programs itself when run, make sure to let it run uninterrupted.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. The program should not take long to finish its job
  • Once its finished it should reboot your machine, if not, do this yourself to ensure a complete clean

3. Make Backups of Important Files

Please read this article Home Computer Data Backup.

4. Regularly update your software

To eliminate design flaws and security vulnerabilities, all software needs to be updated to the latest version or the vendor’s patch installed.

You should download Update Checker from here. The program will automaticly check for newer version of software installed on your system.

maliprog

maliprog

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 6,172 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :D

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.