Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive shot, considering replacing it

• Please log in to reply

Canoe12

Canoe12

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I just wanted some advice on a computer problem I have. The hard drive on my four-year old Dell Inspiron notebook is done for (funny, I just paid the [bleep] thing off last month), and I'm debating the merits of trying to replace the hard drive myself, getting a "professional" to do it, or to buy a new notebook.

Is changing a notebook hard drive a difficult task? I imagine it is more difficult than doing it on a desktop, but it is the cheapest alternative for me. I'm also debating whether it is worth sinking any more money into this notebook (what if the monitor goes next?). Does anyone have any input on replacing the drive? :tazz:

Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
I have to open up laptops once in awhile, I have a job fixing computers. I usually dread having to actually take one apart. I can do it, but it's not fun, and you're always left with a few extra screws that you will never find where they go again :tazz: Here's a basic guide to doing this yourself:

http://spiike.shadow...t/painting2.htm

Now it's obviously not impossible, and if you are at least a little technical and mechanical and not to mention "Patient" you can do this.

This guide is not for your exact model, but most Dells are close to the same to open.

-=jonnyrotten=- ;)

Canoe12

Canoe12

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey, thanks for the link! Maybe I'll try taking the Inspiron apart and see how that goes, if it goes well and I don't break anything I'll go buy a hard drive to replace it. :tazz:

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Good luck! I think you can do it. :tazz:

-=jonnyrotten=- ;)