Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't install drivers

• Please log in to reply

RVC

RVC

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Recently my son's computer would not boot to XP, leaving an error message with an incomplete path to a file that was supposed to corrupted or missing. I tried CHKDSK and FIXBOOT from the XP recovery console and that had no effect. Finally I reinstalled the OS and now the computer boots.

As I cannot connect with either Outlook Express or IE I assumed I also needed to reinstall the drivers. The CD runs and a utility CD window appears at the bottom of the screen but the computer will not go past a blank white screen. I have tried to aquire new drivers online but but they are not available from the MB manufacturer.

Apparently there are other problems here that I do not know how to track down. If someone could give me a hand I would appreciate it. The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-M61P-S3. The chipset is nVIDIA GeForce 6100/nForce 430. The OS is XP SP2. Will drivers for another motherboard work as long as its chipset is the same as the one I have?

Thanks for reading through all this and for whatever answers may be forthcoming.

RVC

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

As I cannot connect with either Outlook Express or IE I assumed I also needed to reinstall the drivers. The CD runs and a utility CD window appears at the bottom of the screen but the computer will not go past a blank white screen. I have tried to aquire new drivers online but but they are not available from the MB manufacturer.

It is possible that your video driver are not install and due that it is probably working only on the lowest setting the cd setup screen cannot be displayed. You could try to go to My Computer and right click on your cd and choose explore and go to the appropriate driver you want and install it manually.

Apparently there are other problems here that I do not know how to track down. If someone could give me a hand I would appreciate it. The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-M61P-S3. The chipset is nVIDIA GeForce 6100/nForce 430. The OS is XP SP2. Will drivers for another motherboard work as long as its chipset is the same as the one I have?

Thanks for reading through all this and for whatever answers may be forthcoming.

RVC

You can check this page for the drivers (audio, chipset, sata, vga) needed for XP (32 bit) that your motherboard requires.
http://www.gigabyte....spx?pid=2434#dl

Edited by Alzeimer, 24 January 2011 - 09:03 AM.

RVC

RVC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Thank you for your response. Although this MB has onboard video I added a video card which had a separate disk which loaded new video drivers without incident. The resolution was set high enough so I could see the whole screen.

I appreciate the link to the Gigabyte site. I'm embarrassed that I couldn't find my motherboard when I did my own search of this same site. I downloaded the LAN drivers and I am in business again. I'm still trying to figure out why my original installation disk didn't work.

Thanks again for your help.

RVC