Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

File name extentions

• Please log in to reply

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
Using XP and the Search function:

1. I get the searched-for file name ok but without the extention (e.g. doc). Is there a way to have the search function show the complete file name, with the extension?
2. Is there a way, without leaving the search results screen, to <launch> (run) the found file? Will double clicking do so? (It does not seem to do so, for me).

Thank you.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
open up a windows explorer window (double click on my computer or press windows + e) click on tools, then folder options, then view, then uncheck hide extensions for known file types and press ok to close all of the windows. Note: with the file extensions shown, if you go to rename a file by clicking on it's name (or by right clicking and choosing rename) you MUST make sure not to remove or change the file extension of the file as this will cause the file to no longer work untill you fix the error.

double clicking from the search should open the file, if not, right click on it and choose "open containing folder" then you should be able to open the file