Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

User Profiles

• Please log in to reply

galec

galec

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
Have a Dell Optiplex 330 running windows xp pro. Had a problem with windows not starting and not booting to safe mode. System still under warranty w/ Dell and was instructed by them to do a re-install of windows, which I did. This computer is connected to a work domain. I created a new user to connect to the domain but it does not have admin privileges, ugh. Now I see I have these folders under Docs & Settings: Administrator (6/3/08)[purchase date of system], Default User, User, Administrator.ipswich (6/13/08), All Users (7/23/10), Rich (10/17/2010), Allusers.windows, rich.ipswich, Defaultuser.windows, administrator.rich (1/21/2010 - the day of reinstalling windows).

The user Rich has all the desktop shortcuts and files under it and I am assuming this the original logon user which I need to get back to. When I reinstalled windows, I did not realize nor did Dell tell me, that the user would still be there.

EDIT>> due to a reply, I realize this post is incomplete.
How can I get back to the original login (rich)? Will just deleting the new folders that were created on re-install of xp do the trick?

Edited by galec, 24 January 2011 - 03:25 PM.

Advertisements

Tankmaster

Tankmaster

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Did you format the computer when you reinstalled the XP?

That would be a reason that those folders are still there.

When you re-install you should've gotten the option to format your hard drive. Unless, of course, if you have some very important files that you cannot remove.

Try re-installing the XP again and this time do not forget to format all the drives and partitons.

TANK

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
No, I was not asked to format the drive; it was a re-installation disk. I think if it was formatted the folders would not be there. I need the Rich folder. My question is how to get to that logon.

Tankmaster

Tankmaster

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Oh,there we go. I think you just needed to clarify that a little.

Let me see if I'm understanding you right(correct me if I'm wrong):

• There was a problem on the PC.
  • You contacted dell.
  • They suggested you to re-install OS.
  • You re-installed OS as per their instructions.
  • Now there is a folder that you need to get which you cannot get.
Am I right?

You just want the shortcuts and folders that were in the Rich user?
Do you absolutely need the user back or is it okay if you get only the contents of that rich folder?

Please answer these questions so I know what to tell you.

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
Am I right? mostly.

It's not that I can't get at a folder. I can see they are there but I would like to get the original logon back. It was setup yrs ago w/ admin rights on the domain. Right now when logged in, the new Rich does not have admin rights; I'm not even sure how I did that, darn. So I have to log out, log in as admin to fix, install programs, etc. I want to get back to the way he logged in before reinstalling windows.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I am afraid I cannot sort out WHICH rich is WHICH
Go Start run
Then type in "control userpasswords2" without quotes.
There you will be able to alter whatever you wish for permissions etc. - be careful - you can easily alter the wrong item.

ALSO go My Computer right click your hard drive, click properties, then click the security tab, there you can alter the access rights to that drive or you may select a particular folder and follow the same procedure.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 24 January 2011 - 07:02 PM.

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
The original rich is date 10/17/10 (dont know why that date as it is (was) accessed every day). This is what I am trying to go back to. Anything dated 1/21/11 was made when I reinstalled windows.

When i enter control userpasswords2, I cannot sign into anything. It immediately comes up "you must be a member of the administrators group on this computer to open user accts. Your are logged on as ipswich/rich and ti s acct is not a member of the administrators group. to continue type the user name and password of an administrator on this computer." I never setup a password for admin. There is no security tab when i right click properties on my computer

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

There is no security tab when i right click properties on my computer

My Computer right click your hard drive,

Edited by Macboatmaster, 24 January 2011 - 07:26 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Further to the above there is not entry dated 2011 - typo

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
sorry, typo. not used to 2011 yet. 1/21/11 was when winxp reinstalled and these folders: Allusers.windows, rich.ipswich, Defaultuser.windows, administrator.rich are date 1/21/11

Advertisements

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
sorry again. been working at this a while and it's very cold here in the NE!. I skipped over two words. Everything is dimmed on the security tab, even under the advanced button.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
The built-in Administrator account is hidden from Welcome Screen when a user account with Administrator privileges exists and enabled. In Windows XP Home Edition, you can login as built-in Administrator in Safe Mode only. For XP Professional, press CTRL + ALT + DEL twice at the Welcome Screen and input your Administrator password in the classic logon window that appears.
TRY LEAVING IT BLANK first.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 24 January 2011 - 07:47 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Further to the above and to save me a lot of typing maybe this will assist

http://www.microsoft...minaccount.mspx

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
we've always logged in w/ Alt crtl del. There is no record any any admin password. When I switch users, there is admin but the domain is "rich (this computer}" and I just hit enter w/ no password. When I log in to the "new" rich, I use the password and the domain is "ipswich".

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
So when you log on as admin in whatever name that is you should then be able to alter the permissions for the folder you are trying to access.