Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

trouble installing GeForce4 MX420 AGP graphics card

• Please log in to reply

pipercat

pipercat

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi, I'm trying to install a Nvidia GeForce4 MX 420 64mb AGP graphics card. The psu is quite new, (550w I think). Firstly I tried to install the driver but it would not let me do this until the card had been put in. When I installed the card and plugged monitor into it I could boot into bios ok but no display as windows xp was loading (only once could I see it faintly). Also it appears windows does not load properly when card is inserted. In bios the display is set to AGP. Can anyone help?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This may mean the card is faulty. Where's it come from?

pipercat

pipercat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
It did come from a working machine following upgrade. However someone did tell me there are 2 different types of agp cards are not all are compatible. The card is older than the motherboard I'm putting it into. Is thia not good?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Depends.
If a board requires a certain AGP voltage to work properly, the AGP slot itself is keyed. You wouldn't be able to insert a non-compatible card in, but that won't stop you shoving a non-working card in that fits. All AGP slots are backwards compatible so they can run older cards if needs be.

Here's a webpage about AGP Voltages and you'll see what I mean about keying:
http://www.ertyu.org...patibility.html

pipercat

pipercat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thans Neil. Very useful info. I've also found a good page about AGP card and compatibility here:-
http://www.playtool....pat/newagp.html