Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Uhoh!

• Please log in to reply

tekietek

tekietek

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Okay, I am researching a computer problem for my aunt. Her computer will no longer start up. She has XP, and I do not know what is wrong with it; It starts up fine, but before it actually goes to the desktop it flashes a blue screen and restarts--Then, it asks for us to pick a mode (safe, regular, last whatever settings) and when I choose "Safe mode" a whole chain of file names (I think) roll down the screen right before it freezes! I saw this problem at my college, but I never learned how to fix it--I assume that I have to reformat the hard drive, but I'd like to be sure--is there any other way to fix this problem?

Thanks!
-Amanda

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
where does it freeze? what file is showing last? (PC will take a LONG time to load in safemode, and will appear to freeze)

tekietek

tekietek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
According to my aunt (I might have to go over there myself and find out , but this is what she told me) it says something along the lines of: Multi zero dis(k?) zero R disk zero partition to windows system thirty two drivers agp 440. sys

It means nothing to me--I hope it does to you. I'm not exactly sure if that is what it is, but the agp 440 is what seems important.

Hope that helps--Thanks again! :tazz:
_Manda

Edited by tekietek, 27 May 2005 - 03:14 PM.

back2killah

back2killah

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
It seems that there are a lot of ways to get this to happen.
I've only had it happen a couple of times in the past, and the problem was usually the video driver.

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;324764

Check this KB from Microsoft for steps on how to disable AGP440.sys. This will get XP to use standard VGA drivers. After you get your system back up and running, you can download and install the latest drivers for the graphics card and then change the settings to a more desirable look.

Anybody else have any ideas?

tekietek

tekietek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
oh! Now that you mention that--another symptom; there was a " no video" box that flashed a couple times--I'm an idiot, sorry! Anyway, yes, that must be the problem--I didn't think about that--I figured that the flashing was similar to the "no connection" I get from my PC to screen when I lose power.

One more problem though--My aunt doesn't have an XP disk; it was installed on her computer when she bought it off someone, or something along those lines. I know XP is fussy, but should I try using my XP disk to fix it?

And, once I disable the video thing, will she not be able to watch videos or soemthing? what is the consequence?

Thanks again!!!!
-Amanda

back2killah

back2killah

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Well, when you disable the agp440.sys service, NT will boot up in VGA mode, which will be quite hideous and small (640x480 or something like that).

However, you should at least be able to now see your desktop, at which time you should go to the video card's manufacturer site to download and install the latest drivers for that graphics card.

Regarding the XP CD, it depends on the type of installation (whether it was a standard Microsoft XP CD or an OEM CD, which many PC manufacturers like to use).

tekietek

tekietek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Thank you so much; you are the best! One last question though, before I attempt this.. Will this be available through windows update? Or, how do I access this update?

Thanks again!!!! :tazz:!

tekietek

tekietek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Okay, I disabled that video thing, but its still flashing "no video" and it it won't start up.. in safe mode a lot of files still come up, repeating in the drivers and system 32 folderie thing. most of them are .sys files.. any suggestions?