Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Strange colours on screen

• Please log in to reply

JammyJamson

JammyJamson

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi There,

My computer gets this strange colour mash-up. I power up and its fine, then anything from 2 mins to 2 hours later the screen goes all strange, flashing colours and what-not. Then I have to switch off and switch on and the computer asks me if I want to start normally or repair mode. Ive done both just to see and both options allow me to start up ok but then its back to square one- either 2 mins or 2 hours later.

Now, the very FIRST time this happened my computer suggested I download up dated NVidea drives which I did. Nothing happened and the message has never returned.

All I would like to know is, what needs replacing so when I go to the shop I'm not mugged off. And, is it something I could replace?12012011785.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help

Advertisements

JammyJamson

JammyJamson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Another pic12012011786.jpg

zfkdaniel

zfkdaniel

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi There , Im Daniel and im here to help you! :D
This problem occurs when you install drivers that ARE NOT GOOD FOR YOUR GRAPHICS CARD! also i want to know your Graphics card model. or maybe something is overheating and that strange colors show up to prevent the burn of your graphics card.

JammyJamson

JammyJamson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey Daniel,
Funnily enuff, my laptop does seem to get warmer than it used to, especially around the 12345, qwerty bit of the keyboard. However I ruled this out because sometimes this happens before the computer even gets a chance to warm up.
Anyway, a sticker on the laptop says NVIDIA GeForce8400m GS 256MB

thanks mate

Edited by JammyJamson, 25 January 2011 - 01:18 PM.