Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

File Extension changes and lost programs

• Please log in to reply

Aerator

Aerator

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
One of my laptop users was installing the SonicWall VPN client program - she brought in here Vostro 1500 running XP Pro under a Domain - Her desktop Icons are showing the Explorer Icon for the files titles: Internet.lnk, Playitall Media player.lnk, Adobe Reader.lnk, Google Earth.lnk, Microsoft Excel, word and Windows Media Player - But Outlook is still Outlook as is the recycle bin and My computer.
Windows explorer still works; but, double clicking on an exe file does not as XP has forgotten what an exe file is - it opens the unknown extension window.

The computer is running Security Essentials as its antivirus which is up to date and shows no infections - Run by right clicking on the start button menu. Any thoughts on how to fix?
[email address removed to prevent spamming]

Edited by admin, 25 January 2011 - 11:43 AM.
removed email

Advertisements

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello Aerator and welcome to Geeks To Go.

It seems your .exe file association is corrupted from what I understand and will need fixing. Please download the exe patch from here You will need to scroll down to number 12.

I am not a malware expert but I have used security essentials and its a waste of space so I reccomend that you post this problem in our malware removal forum.

Please read the following topic here and then post your problem here.
Please post your problem there where our experts will be more than happy to assist you :D

Regards

Edited by wizzy2k5, 25 January 2011 - 11:14 AM.

Aerator

Aerator

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thanks Guru,
I appreciate your reply and the link to Kellys-Korner.
Yes, that is spot on to what I figured was going on; but, with being unable to run an exe file, I am unable to start OTL. My initial quick look at the reg file from kellys did not give me any secrets to how to use it. I dig more on that sight later when I have more time.

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello

The reg file is easy :D just double click and follow the prompts ;) just select yes and sorted ;)

Regards

Edited by wizzy2k5, 25 January 2011 - 01:16 PM.

Aerator

Aerator

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Unfortunately, not if the computer in question has no idea what to do with a .reg file. Not so fun. I may indeed be coming to the point of diminishing returns.

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
So I am guessing it comes up with the same thing as it does with the .exe?

Time to take it a little further and create a second user account

Start - Control Panel - User Accounts

You can create a new user account by clicking create new account and also set a password. Restart your machine and load into that account you have just created to see if you get the same error.

If that fails I would like to suggest that you do a repair installation. Details on how to do this can be found here

Aerator

Aerator

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thanks Swammy, I mean Guru. LOL - When I get the all clear from the malware forum, I will give the exe fixer a try. I had forgotten that tool even existed!
Thanks again,
Michael