Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Help I somehow deleted my soundcard!

• Please log in to reply

ali xx

ali xx

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I hope someone can help!

I somehow accidently deleted my soundcard (whilst add/removing files i think)
There is nothing in 'Audio' in My Computer, its all greyed out so I cannot select anything. I also no longer have the installation cd's.

Could someone help? Could I maybe download another from somewhere?

Thanks

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
First thing we would need to know is your computer model name (HP, Dell, if a brands name or Asus ???, Gigabyte??? if a built computer) also is it a laptop or a desktop.

Is your soundcard Integrated or is it an addon PCI card?

When you restart your computer do you get a Found New Hardware pop up screen?

If you go to your Device Manager do you see your soundcard there with a yellow question mark beside it or is it not there at all?

If a Brand name an integrated you will find the drivers for your Soundcard on the manufacturer (HP, DELL, ACER ect) website.

If a built computer and integrated you will find the drivers on the website of the manufacturer (ASUS, MSI, Gygabyte ect) of your motherboard.

If an addon PCI card you will find the drivers at the website of your souncard manufacturer (Realtek ect)

If you do not know the model of your addon card there are programs like UnknownDevice that will tell you what is the brand and model number of your card.

Or you cam use any of the many Driver finder programs that wuill find and install all the latest drivers of your hardware.

Hope this helps and if you need more help just ask.

ali xx

ali xx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
ok, the system model is: AWRDACPI

The sound card is integrated

I do not get the 'Found New Hardware' on start-up

In Device Manager I do get the yellow question mark. It will not re-install.

I have no idea what the brand name of my sound card is

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
Go to this site and download the freeware program Unknown Device Indentifier 7.0 and install it. Once installed run it and check for your soundcard model and either try to find the driver yourself or let us know what it is and we will help you find it.

http://www.zhangduo.com/udi.html

ali xx

ali xx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
My Souncard is (was) Realtek. Does this help?

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
Realtek is a start but they have many models, we would need more info.

Have you tried to highlight the Vendor or PnpID and press F3 to automatically open a search for the Realtek driver webpages

[attachment=47468:UNDV.JPG]

Edited by Alzeimer, 26 January 2011 - 09:28 AM.

ali xx

ali xx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I system restored and got my volume back!!! Thankyou guys xx