Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can I Use 64 bit Windows 7 on Following Computer ?

• Please log in to reply

georgetok

georgetok

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Hi,

I have following System & I have been using Win 7 Ultimate 32 bit Version.

My question is can I install & use 64 bit version of Windows 7 Ultimate on this system ?

If not why ?

Any pros & cons of 64 bit OS ?

Processor : Intel Pentum D dual Processor 3.00 GHz

RAM : 2.00 GB DDR

HDD : 500 GB + Second HDD : 500 GB

Video Card : 256 MB Radeon X600

Sound : SoundMAX Onboard Integrated Sound

Thank You

Advertisements

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
A 64-bit OS will allow your PC to address 4GB+ of RAM. It will also run both 32-bit and 64-bit applications, of which few of the latter exist. A 64-bit OS will use a little more RAM to run the same apps. Windows 7 64-bit will not run older 16-bit programs.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282423

In short, unless you have specific needs, stick with your 32-bit OS.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
To install the 64 bit version you will need to format the system and do a fresh install.

Bugsy

Bugsy

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
A 64-bit operating system can handle large amounts of memory more efficiently than a 32-bit operating system, a 64-bit operating system can be more responsive when running several programs at the same time and switching between them frequently.

But is it best to have at least 4GB RAM to have the optimal effects and you will also need a processor that is capable of running a 64-bit operating system

Personally i would go for the 64bit but make sure the requirements are met!

georgetok

georgetok

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Thank you all so much.

Really appreciate your opinion.

Barney Stinson

Barney Stinson

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

A 64-bit operating system can handle large amounts of memory more efficiently than a 32-bit operating system, a 64-bit operating system can be more responsive when running several programs at the same time and switching between them frequently.

But is it best to have at least 4GB RAM to have the optimal effects and you will also need a processor that is capable of running a 64-bit operating system

Personally i would go for the 64bit but make sure the requirements are met!

Agree completely. I won't suggest 64-bit for a 2GB RAM. I myself use Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit on my PC having 2GB RAM.