Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Free DNS

• Please log in to reply

Reddoug

Reddoug

• PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
Hi All

Has anyone had any experience with Free DNS? What do you think about using it? Seems ever since my ISP taken over by a different company, my web pages seem to load slower. Paying for the same connection speed with the new ISP. If I use Speakeasy shows down and upload speeds are ok. Wondering if it could be the way there DNS is set up. Just a thought.

Thanks, Doug

Advertisements

Danc20

Danc20

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
I've heard about this too. The way it works makes sense that it would be faster, so I think for you it would be worth a try. The only warning I would give is it might temporarily mess with things a bit. I have tried OpenDNS and it seemed okay, but I could not determine any speed increase because it made logging into my router very weird. When I logged into it, the page was all jumbled up, like a poorly made website. I have no clue why this happened, but if you don't have a Linksys router or don't plan on using OpenDNS then it won't be a problem for you. I think OpenDNS would be a good try though because it seems fairly popular.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you could also use google DNS if all you're looking for is an external DNS source. it's usually a pretty good bet that google knows where any one website is at any given point in time.

Reddoug

Reddoug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
Hi and Thanks for the quick reply's. I will give them a try and see what happens.

Doug