Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows XP home black screen startup

• Please log in to reply

whocando

whocando

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Yesterday I started my laptop and after the Windows home Splash screen I got a black screen.

I tried starting in safe mode and the it stopped at loading KMXSTART.SYS

I used the Windows CD to boot from and from the Recovery Console ran Chkdsk /p. This found and error the first time and then took about 3hrs to run next time with no errors. Today it found another error and then ran OK within a few mins several times afterwards.

After reading some of the posts here I booted from the Windows XP CD and after the licence agreement it found c: Partition1 [NTFS] instead of the c:\Windows I expected and does not offer the option of repair.

Picking c: Partition1 [NTFS] gives me a screen that says "You chose to install windows xp on a partition that contains another operating system. Installing windows xp on this partition might cause the other operating system to function improperly" ....... "To continue setup using this partition, press C"

Can anyone tell me if I continue, will this repair my windows without loss of my data or will it want to format and loose everything?

Advertisements

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks To Go

Instead of running chkdsk /p you should of ran chkdsk /r as this located any bad sectors and repairs them. I have looked at the chkdsk commands and the option for the /p switch doesn't appear. Details on a repair installation can be found here If you don't get a Windows partition when you go for the repair then you may have no choice but to format.

Regards

whocando

whocando

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks wizzy2k5, I will try the /r and see what happens. I agree that the /p is not an option when looking help from cmd but booting from the Windows XP CD, recover only gives two options /p & /r

I guess I will see what the shop says since the HD is only several months old.

Regards

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Thanks for the reply, also if the /r switch doesn't work please look at the following post by wannabe1

http://www.geekstogo...ost__p__1255017

This has saved me alot of times so its worth a try.

Edited by wizzy2k5, 27 January 2011 - 09:22 AM.

whocando

whocando

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Looks interesting but first I will follow this link:

http://www.techrepub...ions/101-276680

It seems that KMXSTART.SYS is part of the CA Security Center and the 2007 version has this problem. I don't think I have a 2007 version but I'll keep everyone informed as to CA's suggestions.

Thanks