Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer freezing

• Please log in to reply

Liveeruptsuj

Liveeruptsuj

• Pip
  • 6 posts
My computer seems to be sinking into an abyss of worsening troubles. Initially, I would have games, (Wolfenstein, Starcraft, Unreal, Doom 3) have three problems; a: Sound would disappear game would continue, b: Game would freeze and no amount of CTRL ALT DEL would help, or c: game program would simply close suddenly and I would be back in Win Explorer. This has progressed in the last couple of months to the computer not able to open programs sometimes(game or otherwise) and the internet will suddenly freeze. Also my troubleshooting option in Windows seems to have disappeared, although that may be because I have been 'messin' around trying to inexpertly fix this thing! I'm worried about having to format the harddrive, because I have tons of video in this computer (92 Gigs) that I can't figure how to burn onto Cd or DVD in smaller chunks. Also all my downloads.... I play movies and music through media player all the time and never have anything worng happen, it just seems to be games, and then other programs after I play a game. And it always seems to be related to the sound, but I might be mistaken in that. Anyone want to give a suggestions?

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go! Random lockups, mainly games? Could be a lot of things. Maybe you can find some clues. Go to start, my computer, right click, manage, view event log. Look for those with a red x at the time of the lock up. Right click on it, properties to view the details. You can also send a report to M$ and view their knowledge base for additional clues and possible fix. This will give a possible direction to go. :tazz:

ruian89

ruian89

• Pip
  • 3 posts
you may need more RAM

Liveeruptsuj

Liveeruptsuj

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hanging application iexplore.exe, version 6.0.2900.2180, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000. 3 or 4

Faulting application alcupd.exe, version 1.6.3.1, faulting module alcupd.exe, version 1.6.3.1, fault address 0x00018c83 8 or 9

TrueVector engine: File "C:\WINDOWS\Internet Logs\IAMDB.RDB" was corrupt, restoring from backup "C:\WINDOWS\Internet Logs\BACKUP.RDB". There are about too many of these to count

Faulting application explorer.exe, version 6.0.2900.2180, faulting module qdv.dll, version 6.5.2600.2180, fault address 0x00006e2b

The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: 7. ------ There are 5 of these in a row.

he description for Event ID ( 19011 ) in Source ( MSSQL$MICROSOFTBCM ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: (SpnRegister) : Error 1355. There are lots of these warnings.

Do these mean anyhting to anyone? Seems the dll thing keeps coming up, and most of these happened in just two days. Comments?

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Well, I see the messages you found keep referring to corrupt files. Try running the system file checker. Go to start, run and type sfc /scannow You will need to have your windows install cd in the drive so windows can get any files it needs.