Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to uninstall Memeo Backup

• Please log in to reply

anazopyreo

anazopyreo

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
I recently installed Memeo Backup which came with a hard drive that I purchased. It didn't work so I tried to uninstall it. It did not come with it's own uninstaller so I used the control panel. Every time I try it I get the error, "Memeo AutoBackupsupports ONLY Windows XP and Windows 2000 SP6." Every time I log into Windows I get an error that this program has stopped responding and it is annoying me. How do I get rid of this stupid program?

Advertisements

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello

• Download Revo Uninstaller (free edition) from here
  • Save the file to your desktop, for example C:\users\your username goes here\desktop
  • Double click the file to open and install it
  • Find the programs you wish to remove and double click them to begin the removal process
  • Make sure you do the advanced uninstall as it removes the whole program

If you get an error when the application uninstaller runs ignore it and continue with the advanced removal as it will remove all the programs remaining files. All applications should have its own uninstall utility for easy removal.

Thanks

Edited by wizzy2k5, 26 January 2011 - 10:05 AM.

anazopyreo

anazopyreo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
I installed Revo Uninstaller but it doesn't see Memeo Auto Backup. I found the shortcut to it in my startup folder and deleted that so it won't annoy me every time I log in, but I still have a malicious program on my computer that I can't get rid of.

anazopyreo

anazopyreo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
It can't be as simple as deleting the folder it's in can it? If so, how do I know for sure?

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello

• Hold the Windows orb key on your keyboard and press R
  • In the run box type "msconfig" without the quotation marks and hit enter
  • Locate the startup tab and untick Memeo Backup if its located in there
  • Apply it but don't restart it

• Hold the Windows orb key on the keyboard and press R
  • Type in regedit and hit enter
  • Expand the following HKEY_CURRENT_USER/SOFTWARE (Under the software key delete the key called Memeo Backup if it is there)
  • Expand the following HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE (Under the software key delete the key called Memeo Backup if it is there)

I would now like you to get a Malware check done as this maybe causing your problem. Please read the following topic here and then post your problem here.
Please post your problem there where our experts will be more than happy to assist you :D

If you are still having the same problem please return to this topic.

Regards

Edited by wizzy2k5, 26 January 2011 - 10:07 PM.

anazopyreo

anazopyreo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Thank you.

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Is it sorted? I also forgot to mention check in this path

C:\Program Files
Delete Memeo Backup if its in there.

Glad I could help but if you think you still have a malicious program then also feel free to get a once over in the malware forum as per my above post.

Regards

Edited by wizzy2k5, 27 January 2011 - 09:18 AM.

anazopyreo

anazopyreo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
I'm pretty sure that took care of it. I didn't mean to say I thought it was malware, probably just bad design. If I continue to have problems I'll check out the malware forums.