Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer freezing

• Please log in to reply

Liveeruptsuj

Liveeruptsuj

• Pip
  • 6 posts
My computer seems to be sinking into an abyss of worsening troubles. Initially, I would have games, (Wolfenstein, Starcraft, Unreal, Doom 3) have three problems; a: Sound would disappear game would continue, b: Game would freeze and no amount of CTRL ALT DEL would help, or c: game program would simply close suddenly and I would be back in Win Explorer. This has progressed in the last couple of months to the computer not able to open programs sometimes(game or otherwise) and the internet will suddenly freeze. Also my troubleshooting option in Windows seems to have disappeared, although that may be because I have been 'messin' around trying to inexpertly fix this thing! I'm worried about having to format the harddrive, because I have tons of video in this computer (92 Gigs) that I can't figure how to burn onto Cd or DVD in smaller chunks. Also all my downloads.... I play movies and music through media player all the time and never have anything worng happen, it just seems to be games, and then other programs after I play a game. And it always seems to be related to the sound, but I might be mistaken in that. Anyone want to give a suggestions?

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
could we have some system specs please?
in particular, video card, sound card, mobo, psu, cpu & ram.

Can you also tell us whether you run these games run the CD drive or are they loaded on to the hard drive?

Liveeruptsuj

Liveeruptsuj

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for responding! The mobo is an Epox 4pda5 with integrated sound 7 channel surround. The ram is a matched pair of 512 mb, but I can't see the brand looking at them. The video is an ATI radeon 9200 256mb, and the games are playing off of the cd rom and a dvd-rw, both of which lead to the same problems. THanks again!

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
What PSU are you using? Rating in watts & brand name please if possible.

Liveeruptsuj

Liveeruptsuj

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
420 watt Raidmax ATX12v

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
ok, heres a few things that you could try :

1 decrease video hardware acceleration

2. underclock the card in case its overheating. Also make sure the pci slot below it is empty in give the card better air flow

3. check for any updates or patches for the video card, games and sound card

4. run dxdiag for the video & sound. I doubt this will find anything wrong but might be worth checking anyway

5. Maybe try a different sound card, preferably a sound blaster one. At least this will be cheaper than replacing the video card if it fixes the problem

Liveeruptsuj

Liveeruptsuj

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks a lot for your advice. I think one problem might be that most of my games (doom 3) will not allow me to choose software acceleration for the sound instead of hardware. I think the sound card option replacing the integrated sound on my board might be relatively cheap thing to try right off the bat. Thanks again.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You're welcome