Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Problems Opening Digital Pictures

• Please log in to reply

bug2

bug2

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
This has just started happening. I have an out of date Microsoft Office 2003, so I use google docs for resumes and things. When I go into My Pictures, open them I can view them, but if I click on one to make it larger, this comes up,
Works cannot open C:\Documents and settings\owner\my documents\my pictures\adobe\digital camera photos
The file may be in use by another application, the file may not be supported by any of the installed converters, or the file may be corrupt. This has never happened before. What can cause this. Thank you.

Advertisements

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Howszit Bug2?

It sounds like MS Works has taken over some of the responsibilities for JPG files. Office 2003 is not responsible. Did you install Word 2003 from a Works CD? There were bugs in that type of install. Try loading Picasa to re-write the registry associations and see if that helps.

Good Luck..

bug2

bug2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi Mark,

Microsoft Office came with the system when I purchased it several years ago. I never updated it and I now use Google Docs. When I put my sd card in to load my pics I always use adobe digital to save them. It is even happening to my older pics that have been on my computer for awhile. I can open them and see them, but if I try to enlarge that is the time that it won't let me.

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
What program are you viewing the pictures in? Windows fax & Picture viewer? Google Docs? Have you tried any other viewers? You may want to check your file associations for JPG and JPEG files... Open my computer and then click on Tools and Folder Options, click on the "File Types" tab and scroll down to JPG flles and see what's listed there.. Windows Fax & Picture viewer is the normal program but you may have an Adobe digital program listed.

Hope this helps...

bug2

bug2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
For jpeg and jpe it is adobe photoshop and for jpg it has microsoft works word.

bug2

bug2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Mark thank you so very much. I just changed it to adobe photoshop and it works. I really appreciate your help.

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Glad to hear that it worked. Sometimes things will change the file associations without your knowledge. Enjoy your pictures... Posted Image

bug2

bug2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thank you Mark. Have a great weekend.