Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to delete a folder

• Please log in to reply

vanmash

vanmash

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hello!

I came across a problem. On my C:\ disk there is a folder with I cannot access or remove. Moreover every time I boot my computer chkdsk starts, but it doesn't change the situation.
Let me add that it's not a user permission problem; I suspect there is a issue with filesystem.

additional details:
XP SP3, NTFS,
I can access ..\Application data\Google\Picasa22\
I cannot access ..\Application data\Google\Picasa22\tmp

How can I diagnose and resolve this one? Please advise.

best regards,
M.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Lets deal with the chkdsk issue first:

Check and see if the hard drive is dirty. Please click on START-->RUN and type cmd. In the new window that appears, type fsutil dirty query c: and hit ENTER. If what appears on the screen says Volume - c: IS Dirty, then we will proceed with the next steps.

vanmash

vanmash

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
C:\>fsutil dirty query c:
Wolumin - c: był zmieniany

it must be Polish equivalent to "is dirty"

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please check the following before proceeding:
  • If you have Spyware Doctor installed, uninstall it.
  • If you have ZoneAlarm installed, open it, click the "Overview" tab, then select "Preferences", and UNcheck the "Protect ZA Client" check box.
Click Start, then Run, type cmd in the Open box and click "Ok". At the prompt in the Command window, type the following commands, pressing "Enter" after each one:

Substitute the drive letter for the drive your want to check for the ? in the following commands. Please note the spaces.
  • chkntfs /d ..... (This will reset autocheck options to default...will come back invalid on some installations)
  • chkntfs /c ?: ..... (This will allow checking the specified drive )
  • chkntfs /x ?: ..... (The x switch tells Windows to NOT check the specified drive on the next boot)
At this point, restart your computer, it will not do a chkdsk and will boot directly to Windows.

This next step is important as this is where the Dirty Bit will be unset.

Substitute the drive letter for the drive your want to check for the ? in the following commands.

Click Start, then Run, type cmd in the Open box and click "Ok". At the command prompt, type the following, pressing "Enter" after each one: (Again, note the spaces.)
  • chkdsk /f /r ?: ..... (To manually run a full chkdsk operation on the specified drive)
  • Y ..... (To accept having it run on the next boot)
This should take you through 5 stages of the scan and will unset the Dirty Bit. Be patient...this is a very thorough check and will take quite a while.

Finally, when the chkdsk operation has completed, type fsutil dirty query ?:, press "Enter", and Windows will confirm that the Dirty Bit is not set on that drive.

Reboot again and see if chkdsk still runs on startup. If the machine boots back up to the command prompt, type exit and press "Enter"...it should boot to Windows.

vanmash

vanmash

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I did all the steps, but c: disk is still dirty.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did chkdsk run again after you completed all the steps and rebooted?

vanmash

vanmash

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
No, chkdsk doesn't start during booting.

noknojon

noknojon

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
Hi (Sorry rshaffer61) -
You can try this (unless rshaffer61 disagrees) - Copy and paste the code below into Run Box - Close all open programs including internet, and after you click on OK the code close the system in 30 seconds and should Auto reboot then run the CheckDisk scan -
CMD /C ECHO Y|CHKDSK C: /R | SHUTDOWN /R /T 30
If it works, please let it run for the full 5 stage check (about 30 to 45 mins) -

Thank You -

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Actually the steps I gave in post 4 did have the OP run the chkdsk /r command during the cleaning of the dirty bit.
This may be the OS causing this or another issue with the memory or hd.
We will check it one item at a time.
Do you have a XP installation disk? If so please do the following even if you don't as it will tell us if there is a problem with the System Files.

Go Start and then to Run ("Start Search" in Vista),
Type in: sfc /scannow
Click OK (Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it to Flyupload, and post download link.

If you don't have Windows CD....
This applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc"
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start and then Run
type in regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

If you want to see what was replaced, right-click My Computer and click on Manage. In the new window that appears, expand the Event Viewer (by clicking on the + symbol next to it) and then click on System.

vanmash

vanmash

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Let me suggest to skip OS check. sfc complains about many files, but I guess it's result of malware I had 2 years ago.

What can I check on filesystem level?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
SFC is System File Checker. This is why I'm suggesting running it. If you believe it is a result of malware then...
I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found here. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).
Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

vanmash

vanmash

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi!

with all due respect I don't think my current problem is connected with malware.
I did remove it and didn't have malware-related problems since (http://www.geekstogo...eatimer-solved/)

Current problem started a few day ago. XP crashed and rebooted and then I noticed problems with Picasa, I made a copy of Picasa2 folder, and later after tried to remove it.
This way I learnt about the issue. For me it's rather filesystem related.

Could you advise any further steps, please?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Since you have shot down doing the SFC and chkdsk found nothing to correct according to you then we look at the memory, hd and the OS itself.

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, try the Hitachi DFT CD Image version of the software

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

Then lets do a repair installation and see if that will correct any corrupted System files.

Repair Installation Instructions

· Insert your Windows XP CD in your CD-ROM and then Restart your computer.

· At the first post screen start tapping the Del key to enter System Bios
· Find the Advance Options or Boot Sequence screen.
· You will need to change the boot sequence so that the CDrom is first and the HD is second.
· Press F10 to Save and Exit and then press Enter to accept.
· The system will now reboot
· When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.
· When you see the following message displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER
· To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
· At this point an option to press R to enter the Recovery Console is displayed. DO NOT SELECT THIS OPTION.

· On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.
· Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected and highlighted in the box, and then press the R key to repair Windows XP.
· Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

You can also go HERE
to read a step by step tutorial with screenshots.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If neither of the above corrects the problem then we need to check the memory.
If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-2.11.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-2.11.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-2.11.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run. You may have to change the boot sequence in your BIOS to make it work right.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

vanmash

vanmash

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi!

I managed to solve this issue. The root cause was that "tmp" folder was not empty, there was a invisible file named ".directory".
I installed Ubuntu (wubi.exe Ubuntu Installer for Windows) - it installs Ubuntu next to Windows, and removed ".directory" file and stubborn folder.
For that I needed to
check "show hidden files" in file browser.

rshaffer61, thank you so much for your help!
please mark the topic as Solved

regards,
M.