Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win 7 to XP

• Please log in to reply

Sam_86

Sam_86

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello everyone!
I have a Packard Bell EasyNote TM85,
which had Win 7 pre-installed on it when I bought it.
Without really thinking clearly I decided I'd rather go with Xp!
So I ran my Xp disc, installation and everything went smooth.
Then when I came into Windows I realized that several drivers are missing.

After checking PB's website for them, I see that none of the drivers I need support XP..
So my question is, do I need to get a copy of Win 7 now to make everything work again?
Or is there some other way to solve this?

I'd be very grateful for any help and I apologise if this is in the wrong section.
/Sam

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Installing a new copy of Windows 7 will not necessarily solve the missing drivers problem, since most laptops require custom-made drivers which are supplied only by the laptop manufacturer. Packard Bell installed these for you before shipping it out to the retailer.

So to get Windows 7 drivers for your laptop, (if you don't have them on a CD), you'd need to get them from the same Packard Bell website that you visited earlier. Windows 7 does include many more drivers than was the case with earlier versions of Windows, but even so it's very likely you'll still need to get at least some of them from Packard Bell, especially where laptops are concerned.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

So my question is, do I need to get a copy of Win 7 now to make everything work again?

Yes, getting a copy of, and installing Windows 7 is the first step.

Next, get ALL Windows Updates.

Then, as phillipcorcoran mentioned, if you still see problems in Device Manager you'll need to download and install the missing driver(s).