Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

formatting xp

• Please log in to reply

ginnyjoe

ginnyjoe

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
I have a dell 2400. I have formatted this computer before and now when I did it it is asking me to put in the windows xp cd sp2 for the i386. I am formatting with a disk that came with the computer and it is a xp cd with sp2. I have not had anything like this before. How do I correct this. I am at a loss. I have searched but cannot figure it out.
Help please. :D Thank you for your time.

ginnyjoe

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
The CD that came with the computer will I am certain be the DELL CD usually gren in colouyr that will have on the front Reinstallation CD Microsoft Windows etc.

The previous format you mention and installation was apparently NOT with this CD that is the reason for the message.

If the CD you have IS the one that came with the computer and the computer has a DELL/Microsoft Windows XP COA with product key. for the edition of windows identified on the Dell CD, then you may, if this is your intention format completely and install from that CD albiet of course you will have MANY updates and SP3 to install, driver issues etc.
Slipstreaming SP3 to the CD can be done but it is not always easy with an OEM CD.

If still a problem format using a Win98 floppy and go from there.
http://www.onecomput...e/win98_img.exe

Edited by Macboatmaster, 27 January 2011 - 02:32 PM.

ginnyjoe

ginnyjoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
I did a format with the old disc and that did not work either. But I realized that the cd-rom I was using was not working as it should so I installed another one and did the reformat again and this time it worked perfectly with the disc that I originally tried it with. Thank you for your time and help.

ginnyjoe