Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New mobo/processor - Boot problems, BSODs and freezeing.

• Please log in to reply

onlnr

onlnr

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi guys,

I recently upgraded my computer. I bought an Asus P8 P67 LE Motherboard to support my Intel Core i7 2600K processor. I also bought a Corsair DDR3 4 GB Ram stick. Ever since I replaced my old pieces with these new ones, I'm getting BSODs and constant freezing.

The BSODs I've had so far had "IRQ_NOT_LESS_THAN_EQUAL" and "KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR", both happening at random times.

The most annoying problem is the random freezups. Everything will freeze except my mouse. Whatever action I do (like typing a sentence on MSN or clicking in "minimize") all "accumulate" and in one big flash, all my actions happen at the same time. The system will run fine until the next freezeup.

I've just formatted my partition and re-installed Windows 7. The freezeups are still here. I even had a freezeup during the installation of Windows 7!

I've ran memtest86+ and let it do 6 passes. No errors were found.

I bought a new power supply because of these following issues:
- Ever since I bought the new hardware, the bootup is weird. I click on the power button of my computer and it may take 4 seconds until it actually starts up. Sometimes it starts up, shuts down, and starts up normally.
- On bootup, sometimes I get a "Overclocking failed! Press F1 to enter setup" message. The weird thing is that I never overclocked anything. I'm just using stock settings on everything.

My gut feeling is that the motherboard is by default overclocking my system, which is causing instability. I have no clue really. Really hoping all the information I have given will help me find an answer.

Cheers.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hi onlnr,
Couple of things that you can check out, first, if you havn`t already try the hotfix at the attached link;
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977178 second, run the diagnostic tools for your brand of HDD;
http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287 third, allow memtest86+ to run over night.
What is the speed of your HDD, your board has SATA 6Gb/s ports, I may be wrong but if your HDD is 3Gb/s it could explain the freezes.

- On bootup, sometimes I get a "Overclocking failed! Press F1 to enter setup" message. The weird thing is that I never overclocked anything. I'm just using stock settings on everything.

Try clearing the CMOS by removing the silver CR2032 battery on the MB for a few moments and then replace it, on booting up you will need to go into the BIOS and reset the time and date, save the new settings and exit, press Y to accept the changes.
Use the facilities the MB has;
MemOK!
- Quickly ensures memory boot compatibility with a mere push of a button and;

TPU
- Increase Platform Performance Instantly with Self Optimized Settings while retaining Full System Stability

onlnr

onlnr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi philipower2,

I have resolved the freezes/BSODs. It was a failing hard drive -- weird timing for it to die right when I buy new hardware.

I will try the solution for the "Overclocking failed!" issue. Thanks a lot!