Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I Don't Want To Update To Windows Live Messenger 2011

• Please log in to reply

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
I didn't want to update to WLM 2011 so I did the following:

Thanks to johnye_pt for providing a template =D

Ok, not really a question or problem, just a solution, so people can find it when searching over the Internet =D

Problem:

If you are still using Windows Live Messenger Version 2009 (Build 14.0.8089.726) and you get this popup everytime you login:

"A newer version is available. You must install the newer version in order to continue. Would you like to do this now ?"

But you still want to keep using this version because newest is not always the best then:

SOLUTION:

1. Download and run Resource Hacker

2. Make a copy of
-C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe (just in case)

3. Use Resource Hacker to edit msnmsgr.exe
4. On the left pane, Navigate to Version Info -> 1 -> 1033
5. On the right pane below, replace

VALUE "FileVersion", "14.0.8089.0726" with
VALUE "FileVersion", "15.4.3502.0922"

and

VALUE "ProductVersion", "14.0.8089.0726" with
VALUE "ProductVersion", "15.4.3502.0922"

6. Push the "Compile Script" button
7. Save (Ctrl+S) and Exit

Open Messenger and login, popup gone!

Make sure NOT to edit these values at the begining of the script !!!

FILEVERSION 14,0,8089,726
PRODUCTVERSION 14,0,8089,726

As several WLM extensions such as Messenger Plus! will fail to load if they do not detect the correct version.

Remember, replace only the DOT separated numbers and DO NOT replace the COMMA separated values o.-

Ora et Labora <3
May this be a Bless to many.

What I wanted to know is if this would cause me any issues when doing video chat, or audio chat with people using WLM 2011?

I ask this because from what I heard the new WLM 2011 adds new functions to your audio calls, and video calls. Whereas you can control both you and your friends volume, speaker, voice, and webcam settings. Which is something I DON'T WANT TO HAPPEN because I have more than one sound card in my system and don't want anything altering my driver settings, as well as msn video/audio settings. I find that to be intrusive...

The new WLM 2011 update is OBLIGATORY right now. Creating pop ups to update where you cannot use your msn unless you do. I would assume it wouldn't be a problem for me to continue to use my older version of msn which is the one about a step below from the new version, due to the fact that the new version was released mid last year 2010. So one would imagine people were conversing with each other on old/newer msns at the time of it's release until now before it became obligatory. This is just my assumption...

Please tell me what you think.

Edited by superstar, 27 January 2011 - 09:26 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

I didn't want to update to WLM 2011 so I did the following:

*snip*

What I wanted to know is if this would cause me any issues when doing video chat, or audio chat with people using WLM 2011?

I ask this because from what I heard the new WLM 2011 adds new functions to your audio calls, and video calls. Whereas you can control both you and your friends volume, speaker, voice, and webcam settings. Which is something I DON'T WANT TO HAPPEN because I have more than one sound card in my system and don't want anything altering my driver settings, as well as msn video/audio settings. I find that to be intrusive...

The new WLM 2011 update is OBLIGATORY right now. Creating pop ups to update where you cannot use your msn unless you do. I would assume it wouldn't be a problem for me to continue to use my older version of msn which is the one about a step below from the new version, due to the fact that the new version was released mid last year 2010. So one would imagine people were conversing with each other on old/newer msns at the time of it's release until now before it became obligatory. This is just my assumption...

You do not need Messenger 2011 at all, nor is it obligatory.
WLM 2011 does not install on XP, it only works on Vista or 7. Therefore you cannot even install it on XP.
The newer version of Messenger that's you're referring to for Windows XP is the same as the old one, except a slightly later revision number. It is not the 2011 version. You can get it from the appropriate pop-up on Messenger, or the Windows Live site.

You do not need to get Resource Hacker out.