Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

TFC

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

kalkon

kalkon

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi guys and thanks in advance for your responses and help.

Ihave bee using TFC for several months now and find it a very good program. However, for some reason it or windows xp sp3 has decided to all ways require a manual reboot, the system just hangs at the "Windows is shutting down" screen. Previously everything appeared to work perfectly and an automatic reboot was no problem at all.

Any ideas or suggestions as to what may be going on?

Cheers and many thanks

Dave in Aussieland

Advertisements

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello kalkon and welcome to Geeks To Go.

Your computer can become slow for many reasons, one of which can be malware so I would like you to get a quick check for malware over at our malware removal forum. I reccomend that you read the following topic here and then post your problem here.

Please post your problem there where our experts will be more than happy to assist you :D If your problem is still presant after the removal of any malware please return to this topic.

Regards

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Dave just a suggestion but try running TFC in Safe Mode.
See if it will reboot on its own then. If so then it is a program or a driver in normal mode stopping it and we can go from there. :D

kalkon

kalkon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
G'day,

Okay, ran Malwarebytes with latest update naturally adn it found zero problems.

Ran TFC in safe mode as per your suggestion and still no fix. :D bugger! lol

Am running Avira anti virus and Comodo firewall -- checked both of these to make sure TFC was approved to run and it is. Bugger again ;)

Have just set Avira to max detection and have it running as I type, but so far nothing showing.

Other than this glitch, the computer seems to run as per normal -- got me stumped right now so any other ideas or programs to try would be appreciated.

Cheers guys and thanks for the help

Dave in Aussieland

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Uninstall TFC and reinstall using the instructions below.

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

kalkon

kalkon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Okay, ran TFC in safe mode and it still hangs at the Windows shutdown screen. I left it for two hours to see what happened and if the restart happened. It dod not restart so had to do it manually.

I also ran Malwarebytes in sfae mode and it did not detect any malware.

Next idea please :D

We will win eventually ;)

Cheers and beers

Dave in Aussieland

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go to

Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixes the problem

kalkon

kalkon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Have run chkdsk /r and no change

Downloaded TFC again and ran it --- same problem --- it gets the Windows is Shutting Down screen and just hangs

It's not like this is the bigest problem in the universe, butit grinds on me that TFC is not working the same as it when first downloaded :D

LOL --- next idea please ... and thanks for the help so far -- it's only a computer and WE are way smarter ;)

Cheers and Beers

Dave in Aussieland

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Just to try something different.

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.

Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you use Firefox browserClick Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
If you use Opera browserClick Opera at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
For Technical Support, double-click the e-mail address located at the bottom of each menu.
[/list]
If this does not work then:

Go to:

Start and then My Computer
Right Click On "C" drive and then click on Properties
Click on Tools tab at the top
In the Error Checking field click Check Now

When that is done

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:

It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged

Reboot and let me know how system is running now

kalkon

kalkon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Back again :D

Have completed all the recent suggestions, but when I run TFC it still continues to hang at the shurtdown screen.

Next ideas please ;)

Cheers and beers,

Dave in Aussiland

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Does ATF-Cleaner make the system hang when you reboot?

kalkon

kalkon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
ATF works fine, no hanging or other problems. The only time the sytem hangs is when I use TFC. This cheeses me off because until about a week ago it worked perfectly fine. But thus far, every check I do or malware program I have run finds nothing on the system.

I am aboutto ru ad-aware and see if it comes up with anything.

Figners crossed :-)

Cheers n Beeers,

Dave In Aussieland

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go Start and then to Run ("Start Search" in Vista),
Type in: sfc /scannow
Click OK (Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it to Flyupload, and post download link.

If you don't have Windows CD....
This applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc"
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start and then Run
type in regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

kalkon

kalkon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Back again --- hope you are not tearing your hair out over this one :D

Okay, ran sfc with XP cd in the drive -- took a while and presumably put back some missing files or dll's.

Rebooted and ran TFC -- same result as always :D

I gather you guys are thinking of a problem with Windows itself. How about I toss the cd in and do a windows repair or whatever it is called?

One other hting that may or may not have a bearing on all of this and I apologise for not mentioning sooner. The Windows automatic update notification icon is and has been for a while, sitting in the taskbar. I think this is soem kind of dummy because when I tell it to run the updatews, it does so, but then in a day or so it is back. Could this be part of the issue?

Cheers and Beers

Dave in Aussieland

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
How To Restore back to a earlier date.

To do a System Restore follow these steps:

 Click Start and then to All Programs
 Scroll to Accessories and then System Tools
 Click on System Restore
 A Welcome screen will come up and you need to click on Restore My Computer To A Earlier Date
 Then click on Next
 Now you will see in the window Select A Restore Point. From here select a date a couple of days before the problem started.
 Then click Next
 On the Confirm Restore Point Selection window verify the Restore Point you chose is correct.
 Close all open programs and click Next
 The computer will now automatically shut down and reboot. When it restarts you will see ”Restoration Complete” page and then click OK
 Once you have made sure that everything is now running correctly then please reply back with the results.
If this does not work then follow the next steps to do a Repair Installation