Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WMP 10 Help! (I hope I posted in the right place)

• Please log in to reply

Broken_Wing

Broken_Wing

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Augh, okay ... to start everything off, I have Windows XP and my computer is rather old (almost ten years). I'm not too bad with finding my way around programs and such, but i'm really not that computer literate when it comes to repairing things and doing the more advanced stuff. I already had this problem once, and I can't remember exactly how I fixed it. It was a while back when I fixed it, so ...

When it all started, I had gotten my computer back from the guy who fixes our computers, and I had never had this problem before ... he upgraded my computer to Windows XP, and got rid of spyware on my computer and updated everything (as well as put some more memory on it).

When I went to play a video file in windows media player (I had just downloaded 10), it wouldn't play it right. Either the video screen would become this dark purple color, or it would have a pixilated version of one of the top corners of the video that was trying to play ... eventually, after searching online for a while, I found a website that helped me explain the problem. It was something about having to go into the options, then the performance tab, and going to the advanced properties, and changing the rendering settings. After that, it played the video files perfectly.

Now, today I was playing an .AVI file on my windows media player, and it wasn't making any sound ... so I downloaded a codec pack, and tried to play it again ... and it acted like I had just re-installed WMP 10, and re-set all of my options to the default, including what I had done to the rendering ... so of course, it went back to make the wierd purple screen, or doing that strange pixilated thing ... for the past five hours i've been trying to remember what exactly I did, but i've searched for a while now online and i've not been able to find anything that's helped ... I've been messing with the settings (Tools, then options, then performance, then advanced), and it's still not working ... and i'm really wanting to play this video file @.@;

(By the way, even though in WMP it worked after the first time I had fixed it, it still did the same thing in Real Player and in Windows Movie Maker)

I've tried making the video 100%, but it just makes the distorted or purple image bigger. And i've tired turning off the video acceleration, and it does nothing. I've looked aaaaaall over the web, and all I can't find is how to fix the streaming video ... this is NOT a web based video ... it has been downloaded onto my computer.

If someone can help me, i'd really, really, really appreciate it ...

Advertisements

Devilz

Devilz

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Could you tell me what video you were trying to play?

Broken_Wing

Broken_Wing

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yeah, at first I was trying to play a Harry Potter 4 movie trailor ... it was a .AVI file. I then tried to play a bunch of other stuff that I had ... they were all avi and mpeg files ... (the files were a .wav music video that I had made for Final Fantasy X, and avi and mpeg files for The Village, Harry Potter 1, 2, and 3, and some Star Wars episode 3 trailors ... I like to make music videos, so I downloaded the files becuase my computer is really bad with ripping DVDs, i've tried it before and it takes forever). Nothing worked ... ^.^;;

mxdz

mxdz

• PipPip
  • 62 posts

It is, in fact, normal for Windows movie maker to have the same problems as Windows Media player , sicne the player in movie maker is exaclty the same as "Windows Media player" it is just embed in a program as it would be on certain websites for example.

I would go an try setting my graphic cards back to default or to uninstall it's drivers completely then reinstall it with your CD. The tech guy probably instaleld new drivers for your graphic card but sometimes I had problems with new drivers and I wait for a corrected version to come out, while waiting I stick to the old version.

Darn just saw the date on that , I hope he checks his e-mails and sees that he got help...

That's if meanwhile he didnt buy another computer :)

Edited by mxdz, 26 January 2008 - 10:37 AM.