Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dual hdd's

• Please log in to reply

Reddoug

Reddoug

• PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
Hi All

I volunteer at a Computer for Schools organization that refurbishes computers. We have an order for some computers that need 80gb hdd's. We only have a limited amount that size and a lot of smaller hdd's. Is there a way to make two drives appear as one? Computers that we are using for this order are Dell GX270's with XP Pro.

Thanks, Doug

Advertisements

98springer

98springer

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
You could create a software RAID 0 and the drives will be seen as one volume. If one drive fails, the entire volume will be gone though. Just like a physical drive.

Reddoug

Reddoug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
Hi
Would the mother board have to support raid controller to be able to accomplish that?

Thanks, Doug

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Tip: Using a RAID 0 array without backing up any changes made to its data at least daily is a loud statement that that data is not important to you.

Reddoug

Reddoug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
Hi

Today I installed two 40GB hdd's. I had wiped the drives. I partitioned the master drive with 10gb and 30gb partitions. I installed XP Pro in the 10gb partition. I made both drives dynamic disks so I could extend the partitions. I made 30gb of master drive and the 40gb of the slave drive so they show up as one logical drive. Might be simpler for the end users(students)to just have the two 40gb drives. Will see what they want to do.

Thanks, Doug