Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE8 Displays Websites Incorrectly

• Please log in to reply

56FordF100

56FordF100

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Internet Explorer 8 displays some websites incorrectly. They are formatted incorrectly and jumbled with text stacked. The compatibility mode is turned on and no change. All has been working fine for over a year. This problem started today after I had downloaded and executed CCleaner v3.03.1366 which cleaned registery, temp files. I don't know if CCleaner has anything to do with this IE8 problem. Also, having problem with homepage (foxnews.com) refreshing with garbage when it automatically refreshes - happens about 50% of the time - this started a couple of days ago. One more trouble spot with IE8 which started at same time as refresh problem -- when I start IE8 somes comes up with an error screen which says "Unable to Download from / www.foxnews.com" followed by words along the line of "you cannot download from this site". Error message goes away after 3rd or 4th try to execute IE8. I installed FireFox to see if any problems with that and that performs fine.

If you recommend that unstall & reinstall IE8 do I lose my favorite list of websites? How do I backup favorite list?

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit and it is up-to-date; Intel Core2 Quad CPU [email protected]; ATI Radeon HD 2600 AT

Thanks in advance....Dave

Edited by 56FordF100, 28 January 2011 - 06:52 PM.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Have you tried using Windows' "System Restore" to roll Windows back to a couple of days ago when your computer was functioning correctly?

56FordF100

56FordF100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I just did a checkpoint restore to 12/30/10 and there was no change so I undid the restore. Attached is a screenshot of the error message that I receive somestimes when I am using IE8. When I reply to the message, IE8 closes. The garbage in the background is what I receive sometimes when IE8 refreshes my homepage(foxnews.com). I also receive this message sometimes when I attempt to start IE8 and it normally goes away after I attempt to start IE8 3 or 4 times.

Dave[attachment=47527:download error message -- this happened on a refresh of website.png]

56FordF100

56FordF100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I just did a checkpoint restore to 12/30/10 and there was no change so I undid the restore. Attached is a screenshot of the error message that I receive somestimes when I am using IE8. When I reply to the message, IE8 closes. The garbage in the background is what I receive sometimes when IE8 refreshes my homepage(foxnews.com). I also receive this message sometimes when I attempt to start IE8 and it normally goes away after I attempt to start IE8 3 or 4 times.

Dave

56FordF100

56FordF100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I just went to Windows 7 control panel and turned off IE8. After restart, I turned IE8 back on and it is doing the same old crap. It appears IE8 is corrupted. Since IE8 is part of Windows 7, how do I get rid of the IE8 that I have installed and install a new IE8? OR do I install IE9 Beta?

Edited by 56FordF100, 29 January 2011 - 09:20 AM.

56FordF100

56FordF100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I disabled all IE8 add-ons and had same results. I then reset IE8 settings to default & that appears to have worked -- at least the web sites are displaying normal without being jumbled and no text overlays. I have not received that download error message BUT it might be to soon to tell.

Dave

56FordF100

56FordF100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Resetting IE8 settings to default also failed. I just found web sites that are still jumbled, text overlayed etc and that download error message just popped up 8 times when I attempted to start IE8. Ugly problem!

Dave

56FordF100

56FordF100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I gave up on finding a resolution for IE 8. I downloaded and installed IE 9 Beta. It's been two hours and home page is refreshing normally, all web sites are formatted correctly as they should be, and I have not received that ugly download error message.

Wish me luck!!

Dave

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Good luck! :D