Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

mrxsmb.sys delay

• Please log in to reply

matrixumus

matrixumus

• Pip
  • 7 posts
ok guys, this was my initial problem:

windows takes around 20 seconds on the "Windows is starting Up" screen just before the login screen appears and another 20 seconds at the "Windows is preparing to shutdown" screen after i choose shut down.. the start up thing is as if windows is searching for other pcs on my network, but it used to boot up fine about a week ago before i reformatted everything, plus ive tried disconnecting all netowrk devices and then trying - still i get the 20 odd second lag on both start up and shutdown.

now i ran bootvis and turns out the file mrxsmb.sys is causing the 30 second delay. During this time, theres no hard disk or CPU activity. This is a networking file, any idea what i can do with it or how i can stop it from hanging my system each time on startup and shutdown ?

Edited by matrixumus, 27 May 2005 - 03:37 PM.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Greetings and welcome to Geeks to Go! You could look at msconfig and see if this shows up in the start menu. Go to start, run type msconfig and run it. Then click the startup tab and see if you can find that, and un-check it.

matrixumus

matrixumus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
EDIT: If i uncheck it my netowrking wont run ? :tazz:

Edited by matrixumus, 28 May 2005 - 05:06 PM.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Here are a couple of items from the M$ knowledge base that may help you identify the problem.

That driver file may not necessarily the culprit although shown as time
consuming in BootVis. The *real* cause might be third-party software,
starting with Windows and causing "mrxsmb.sys" to delay.

"How to perform advanced clean-boot troubleshooting in Windows XP"
http://support.micro...b/316434/EN-US/

"How to troubleshoot by using the System Configuration utility in
Windows XP"

http://support.micro...b/310560/EN-US/