Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

am i infected or missing stuff after running the OTL thingy

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts
I'm not really too sure what to say at this point. I think we need to try and get a hold of a Windows XP Professional disc. It seems like you have quite a bit of files that are corrupted, and will need to be replaced using the disc.

Could you ask a friend or a neighbor if they have a Windows XP Professional disc?

Advertisements

rupertdigby

rupertdigby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
do i need to be concerned with the service pack, and year.

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts
You shouldn't need to be concerned about the year, but you should try to get a XP Professional disc that has SP3 on it. If your only able to find SP2 then we can try to use that one.

rupertdigby

rupertdigby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
i don't have all program cd's like ms office that i use alot. is there a way to copy the programs to the flash drive and use the recovery cd to reload xp media center edition?

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts

i don't have all program cd's like ms office that i use alot. is there a way to copy the programs to the flash drive and use the recovery cd to reload xp media center edition?

I'm not sure if copying just the program files onto your flash drive will copy all of there data over. Are you referring to using the recovery disc to perform a reformat and reinstall of the operating system?

rupertdigby

rupertdigby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
i think so.
i had a blue screen before and called a company to come fix it. i did not give them any disc and they fixed it. the invoice said buck up and restore. does that tell u anything
I've heard before of unloading a bunch of stuff onto an external hard drive and reinstalling cleans up and reorganizes the computer files for better operation.
are there usually more than one disc to put an os on a computer? is the recovery disc different?

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts

i think so.
i had a blue screen before and called a company to come fix it. i did not give them any disc and they fixed it. the invoice said buck up and restore. does that tell u anything
I've heard before of unloading a bunch of stuff onto an external hard drive and reinstalling cleans up and reorganizes the computer files for better operation.
are there usually more than one disc to put an os on a computer? is the recovery disc different?

It really varies. Different manufacturers do different things with their discs that they send out.

If this was my computer, I'd perform reformat and re-install of it, as you had some pretty malicious infections, and I have no way of knowing how much damage they may have done before I started helping you.

If you do want to reformat and re-install then we have an excellent guide written by Essexboy for reformating and re-installing your operating system.

Link: http://www.geekstogo...all-of-windows/

It also has some instructions for backing up your files in the beginning.

Edit: It's important to mention that a reformat and re-install will overwrite all of your files on your computer, so if you decide to perform one you will want to ensure that you have all of the files you want from your computer, otherwise you won't have access to them once you re-format and re-install.

Edited by SweetTech, 05 February 2011 - 12:30 PM.

rupertdigby

rupertdigby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
am i correct in thinking when reformating and reinstalling that i need to also reinstall any programs like quicken, microsoft office, printer, dvd burner? i have 2 disc that say drivers and utilities, power dvd software for dvd play back.
i understand that files are created by a program and saved on the computer. what i don't understand very well is when looking at start>programs what are the things that i need a disc to reload or when looking into remove/add programs the same. i see alot of ms frame works, ms bla bla bla, wireles net work card power management, intel proset wireless software and so on. i don't know what can be downloaded and what needs a disc. i don't want to have to purchase what came with he computer again.

should i'll call dell and ask why my machine is asking for xp professional when i attempted to scan for system files?

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts

should i'll call dell and ask why my machine is asking for xp professional when i attempted to scan for system files?

That can't hurt.

I will respond to your other question in a couple of minutes.

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts

am i correct in thinking when reformating and reinstalling that i need to also reinstall any programs like quicken, microsoft office, printer, dvd burner? i have 2 disc that say drivers and utilities, power dvd software for dvd play back.

Yes, this programs will need to get re-installed, unless the program was already installed on your computer when you bought the computer.

i understand that files are created by a program and saved on the computer. what i don't understand very well is when looking at start>programs what are the things that i need a disc to reload or when looking into remove/add programs the same. i see alot of ms frame works, ms bla bla bla, wireles net work card power management, intel proset wireless software and so on. i don't know what can be downloaded and what needs a disc. i don't want to have to purchase what came with he computer again.

Some of those programs will already be installed when you re-install, while others may be installed via a Microsoft Update, and others may need to be re-installed manually.

If your leaning towards performing a reformat and re-install then you may want to post in our Windows XP forum, and the techs should be able to assist you in determining which programs will need to be backed up and which will not.

Advertisements

rupertdigby

rupertdigby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
i will try locating an xp pro 1st

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts
Okay.

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.