Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

am i infected or missing stuff after running the OTL thingy

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts
Do you by any chance have your Windows disc?

If not, do you have a USB/Flash drive that you can use?

Advertisements

rupertdigby

rupertdigby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
no flash drive. 2 other computers. don't remember the windows disc being in the box. should it have been. does dell always include this thing

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts
Yes, the Windows disc is usually included in the box. Sometimes they include the disc on your hard drive as a recovery partition.

Your going to need to get a blank CD that has the ability to write data to it or get a flash drive.

We need to create a disc or use a flash drive to get us into an external environment. One which should hopefully allow us to get your computer into a state where you are able to boot from it.

We won't be able to do anything until we've created this disc.

Is there any chance you can ask a friend for a blank CD or DVD that you can burn data to? or go to the store and purchase a Flash Drive?

rupertdigby

rupertdigby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
i checked the disc and can see the info loaded to it

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts
Okay, so does anything happen when you put the disc you created into your infected computer and attempt to boot from it?

rupertdigby

rupertdigby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
i'm buying a flash drive. the cd made funny stop and start noises in the laptop and tok for ever to bring up the info on my desk top unit. does sound like when i changed the bios to first check os thru cd is the correct setting

rupertdigby

rupertdigby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
i have moved the otlpen file to the flashdrive. i have made the usb #1 in bios. plugged it in the laptop and flash drive is blinking, the screen is on a blank black screen with a flashing little line at the top left corner and the fan is running.

rupertdigby

rupertdigby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
nothing has appeared on the screen

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts
Hello,

Please use these instructions for putting the OTLPE file onto your USB drive.

IMPORTANT:
You will need a flash drive with a size of 512 Mb or bigger. Make sure that you do not leave anything important on the flash drive, as all data on it will be deleted during the following steps.

• Download OTLPEStd.exe from one of the following links and save it to your Desktop: mirror1 or mirror2
    • Download eeepcfr.zip from the following link and save it to your Desktop: the mirror
    • Finally, if you do not have a file archiver like 7-zip or Winrar installed, please download 7-zip from the following link and install it: the mirror
  • Once you have 7-zip install, decompress OTLPEStd.exe by rightclicking on the folder and choosing the options shown in the picture below. Please use a dedicated folder, for example OTLPE, on your Desktop

Posted Image

• Open the folder OTLPEStd which will be created in the same location as OTLPEStd.exe and right-click OTLPE_New_Std.iso. Select 7-Zip and from the submenu select Extract files... and extract the content onto your Desktop in a OTLPE folder:

Posted Image

• Please also decompress eeepcfr to your systemroot (usually C:\).
  • Empty the flash drive you want to install OTLPE on.
  • Go to C:\eeecpfr and double-click usb_prep8.cmd to launch it.
  • Press any key when asked to in the black window that opens.
  • As indicated in the image, make sure you have selected the correct flash drive, before proceeding.
    For Drive Label: type in OTLPE.
    Under Source Path to built BartPE/WinPE Files click ... and select the folder OTLPE that you created on your Desktop.
    Finally check Enable File Copy.

Posted Image

• Click on Start, accept the disclaimers and wait for the program to finish.
Your bootable flash drive should now be ready!

rupertdigby

rupertdigby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
i'm reading the new directions now. just finished the extended diag test and nothing showed up. thanks for coming back

Advertisements

rupertdigby

rupertdigby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
is decompressing different than extracting? referring to eeepcfr directions

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts
Sorry for the confusion there. Decompressing is the same as extracting.

rupertdigby

rupertdigby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
laptop was reading the flash drive and saw the name across the bottom and went to blue screen with much more info than before

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts
Did you go into BIOS to change the USB to be #1 in the BIOS?

rupertdigby

rupertdigby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
yes. i just checked it again. across the bottom i see the reatago-p-x word and then a line coming from left to right. i see the reatago page light up and then goes to blue screen. did i possibly load the file incorrectly to the flash drive