Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

One beep then black screen with flashing cursor

• Please log in to reply

NiQ!

NiQ!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
The memory diagnostic is still going - I put it on almost 24 hrs ago

Advertisements

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
A few hours should be sufficient to have complete several passes.

If your RAM Memory is "good", each of the passes will have a label "Succeeded"

"Any" test passes that indicate "Failed" mean that your RAM is faulty and should be replaced.

So please tell us....

What were your results?

NiQ!

NiQ!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
The results were all succeeded

NiQ!

NiQ!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
It also said down the bottom no errors were detected

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
OK.

We know a few more things.
Your RAM is Good. :D
Your machine is able to load a Linux OS from optical Drive
Your machine is capable of the sustained and stressful pattern testing of Memory Diagnostics
Your monitor screen is capable of lighting up and displaying information and colors.

Now we need to find out why it won't happily just boot into Window the way it's supposed to. :D

It's looking more like a PCIe video graphics card problem
But not conclusively so as yet.

Could be a scrambled graphics Driver, or less likely some missing or corrupted system file.

Couple of questions:

Your Monitor connects to a vga socket connector attached to a PCIe card that is installed, but removable down toward the bottom of the back. Right?

And there is no second location up higher on the back where there might be a second vga socket (somewhere near the keyboard and PS/2 mouse connectors are located ?

Next:

You mentioned you do have the Windows Installation CD for this machine.
But you said you tried it and it "didn't work".

What do you mean by "it didn't work".

Didn't even start to load?
Loaded up but froze at some point?
Something else?

NiQ!

NiQ!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Ok, sorry I haven't been able to get on for a few days.
There is a VGA shaped socket up higher but it has the prongs poking out, (not in as it would have to be to plug in.)
The windows cd-I'm not sure if it is the one for this machine but it starts to work and then I have the option to either repair the drive or create a new one, when I try to repair it, it just fails.
When I try to create a new one it says to either create a new partition or overwrite existing, it won't let me create a new partition when I try to and when I try to overwrite existing it says that I may erase important system settings.

NiQ!

NiQ!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
What should I do now

NiQ!

NiQ!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
?????????????????

SKJ

SKJ

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi I am having problems starting up my packard bell laptop. It froze on me and the only way i could shut it down was to turn it off. so i left it a while and turned it back on and now i get a black screen with a blinking white line in the left hand side off the screen. Please help

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Direct to: SKJ

Please start your own topic
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. Considering this topic has not been replied to in over 18 months I highly doubt someone would answer for you. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system.
Please post more information as to your exact issue in your topic. Include any error messages you get as well as your system specs. This will help us to assist you more efficiently.
Thank you for your cooperation.

Advertisements