Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Win XP boot issues

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I installed windows 7 on one of my machines about 6 months ago and one day I tried to boot windows 7 and it will go to the loading screen and just restart in an infinite loop. I gave up trying to fix that and took the hard drive out and a few months back I had it working just fine as an internal for another computer that runs XP. I ended up having to take it out to make room for a newer hard drive and now I need a very important document off of it. The issue is this: when I plug in the old win 7 hard drive, no matter what my boot order is the computer always tries to boot from that particular hard drive and it goes into the infinite win 7 loop. I know which drive it is and even at the bottom of my boot options, it still boots first. If I unplug it my win xp hard drive will load just fine. I was going to try and just use it externally but I cant find my [bleep] enclosure. Anyone got any suggestions? Need more detail? Thanks.

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
This adapter (and similar others) is well recommended.
It will connect to your machine as a USB device.
You will be able to access the drive via My Computer.

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts
The start at $19.99 here: