Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bad sectors detected on Seagate Ext. HDD

• Please log in to reply

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
Hey everyone,

Well, it's finally happened. That wonderful moment where one needs to put a monetary value on their data. I am helping someone out with a Seagate External Hard Drive (500GB FreeAgent Pro) that has recently become unreadable. This hard drive is about two years old and has only been used on a Mac OSX. Within the last few months, the hard drive has been having trouble mounting correctly. Specifically, after connecting it to the computer, the name would appear under DEVICES in the left bar of Finder, but nothing would happen when clicking on it to see the files. Whenever this happened, it would usually be fixed by disconnecting and reconnecting the drive a couple of times.

Now, it has finally given up. It's at the point where no matter how many times it is plugged in, the drive will always appear, but can never be accessed. Also, the noise the hard drive makes when it is plugged in has become increasingly louder lately. It's not making any kind of clicking noise, which I've read is common for dead hard drives, but it just sounds like it is overworking, like it is spinning too fast. The drive cannot be safely unmounted. So the plug just has to be pulled.

The 'Repair Disc' function of the Disk Utility tool on the Mac didn't help anything.

I tried plugging it into a Linux system (Fedora 14). After doing this, a message popped up saying it's a failing hard drive. After clicking on that message, an analysis of the hard drive revealed over 2,000 bad sectors ;)! However, the drive was actually mounted and this allowed me to see most of the files and folders, although when I actually tried to retrieve any of the data, I would always get an "Encountered an I/O error" message (and occasionally a "Permission denied" error). Similarly, there is an error message when trying to safely unmount this drive, and the plug must be pulled here too.

I tried using ddrescue, but after four hours, it only "rescued" about 1GB of data. So, I interrupted it and tried using 'foremost' to extract the data from the .img file that ddrescue created so far, but the output folder was empty (perhaps because I interrupted the process before it finsihed...?) I may try this again and let it run overnight, but I would like to use this as a last resort since I feel like this drive is already teetering over the edge and I'd hate be the one to push it off.

I also tried to use the demo for Data Rescue 3 from ProSoft, which at least gives an analysis of whether the data can be saved. This program said it couldn't detect any files to rescue.

I feel like there's hope considering my Linux system can see (but not access) most of the folders and files.

Like any data on a back-up drive, it is absolutely crucial that I recover the maximum amount of data from the drive. I'm also trying to avoid spending $1000+ to send it off to a recovery center. I am looking for any and all suggestions of what I can do to get this data.

Thanks in advance. :D

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi UV_Power,
Some data recovery software can be found at the attached links
http://www.snapfiles...tarecovery.HTML or http://3d2f.com/tags...sh/disk/repair/
Try Recuva first as it has a high success rate, good luck and let us know how it goes.

UV_Power

UV_Power

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
Unfortunately, these programs did not help.

I took it into a hard drive recovery store (sort of like a recovery center but without the big price tag) and none of their techs could retrieve the data.

They recommended sending it out to a professional recovery center (with the big price tag), which is what we ended up doing :D .

Lesson learned, I guess. Thanks for the help.

Edited by UV_Power, 04 February 2011 - 09:17 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

They recommended sending it out to a professional recovery center (with the big price tag), which is what we ended up doing

"Ouch" I would have recommended you checked out the Seagate 5 year limited warranty before you did this, it may cover
this issue.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

They recommended sending it out to a professional recovery center (with the big price tag), which is what we ended up doing

"Ouch" I would have recommended you checked out the Seagate 5 year limited warranty before you did this, it may cover
this issue.

The drive would have been replaced under this warranty.
Seagate are not responsible for the data. Therefore if the OP wanted the data the professional recovery route was the only option.

UV_Power

UV_Power

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
Yeah, like Neil said, we really need that data and the recovery is not covered under Seagate's warranty.

Taken directly from their website:

By sending product for replacement, ownership of the original product will be transferred to Seagate. Seagate will not return original drives to consumers. Data recovery is not covered under this warranty and is not part of the repair or exchange process.

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
Try the old school freezer trick.
http://lifehacker.co...r-freezer-redux