Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

not booting up and no video screen

• Please log in to reply

johnn28

johnn28

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi guys i just upgraded to new motherboard Gigabyte MA74GM-S2 Motherboard , cpu is AMD X2 250 ... 1 Gb DDR 2 ram .300 watts of psu . ok when i turn on the computor i get one beep ....get a solid green light ..then the red light starts flashing and ican here the HDD kick in ....and start reading ...then i get another beep 37 sec from the first ...but no boot up screen ....next 40 odd sec i get another single beep..still no boot up or video signal ...so i removed the Ram ....iturned power back on got continuos beeping ..put ram into another computor and it works ...removed the CMOS battery an replaced ..no luck ...both ATX an 12vlt atx plugged in .i still have the mobo sitting on safe isolated area fully connected .one question would be one single beep normally :D .but 25 -30 sec later i get another short beep which i find confusing ..and sometimes a third beep 30 odd sec later not all the time though ..normally two .. unsure where to go from here or what to do Help ..!!!!! thanks john hope this helps ..sorry added wrong pick of mobo ..thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• bild.jpg

Edited by johnn28, 29 January 2011 - 08:37 PM.

Advertisements

johnn28

johnn28

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
GA-MA74GM-S2.jpg

Hi guys i just upgraded to new motherboard Gigabyte MA74GM-S2 Motherboard , cpu is AMD X2 250 ... 1 Gb DDR 2 ram .300 watts of psu . ok when i turn on the computor i get one beep ....get a solid green light ..then the red light starts flashing and ican here the HDD kick in ....and start reading ...then i get another beep 37 sec from the first ...but no boot up screen ....next 40 odd sec i get another single beep..still no boot up or video signal ...so i removed the Ram ....iturned power back on got continuos beeping ..put ram into another computor and it works ...removed the CMOS battery an replaced ..no luck ...both ATX an 12vlt atx plugged in .i still have the mobo sitting on safe isolated area fully connected .one question would be one single beep normally :D .but 25 -30 sec later i get another short beep which i find confusing ..and sometimes a third beep 30 odd sec later not all the time though ..normally two .. unsure where to go from here or what to do Help ..!!!!! thanks john hope this helps ..

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
Did you apply a fresh layer of TIM?
Are you sure your PSU is good?
Are you sure your CPU is good?
Are you sure the surface you have the motherboard sitting on is non-conductive?

Note a single beep typically means a successful POST - power-on self test. Do you see anything on the screen? If you do, power off and unplug from the wall, then pull the hard drive data cable and boot. It should make it through POST then halt when it cannot find a boot drive.

Note two things:

(1) A new motherboard is considered a new computer unless it is an exact replacement for one that failed and is being installed as part of a repair action.
(2) Only full "retail" Windows licenses are transferable to new computers.

Since it appears you are using a hard drive from an older computer, note:

(1) The drivers installed on the old hard drive are for the old hardware devices on the old motherboard and may be causing the system to choke when it encounters different hardware.
(2) If the license for Windows on the old hard drive is an OEM license that came with or was preinstalled on the drive of an older computer, it is illegal to use it with this new motherboard and you MUST purchase a new license or use one of the many capable free Linux alternatives.

johnn28

johnn28

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Did you apply a fresh layer of TIM?
Are you sure your PSU is good?
Are you sure your CPU is good?
Are you sure the surface you have the motherboard sitting on is non-conductive?

Note a single beep typically means a successful POST - power-on self test. Do you see anything on the screen? If you do, power off and unplug from the wall, then pull the hard drive data cable and boot. It should make it through POST then halt when it cannot find a boot drive.

Note two things:

(1) A new motherboard is considered a new computer unless it is an exact replacement for one that failed and is being installed as part of a repair action.
(2) Only full "retail" Windows licenses are transferable to new computers.

Since it appears you are using a hard drive from an older computer, note:

(1) The drivers installed on the old hard drive are for the old hardware devices on the old motherboard and may be causing the system to choke when it encounters different hardware.
(2) If the license for Windows on the old hard drive is an OEM license that came with or was preinstalled on the drive of an older computer, it is illegal to use it with this new motherboard and you MUST purchase a new license or use one of the many capable free Linux alternatives.

yes a thin layer of paste was on the new cpu ..

psu is good as far as i can tell ..

cpu is brand new ...

the motherboard is isolated ..and sitting on box it came in ..

when i get a beep everthing is running and kicks in the hdd and no there is no life on the screen ...

i unplugged the hdd and samething .....

ok the comp is being upgraded ..cause motherboard old oh dam Cause he burnt out his hdd also ...

1) ok well i do have a lster hdd here and that should of at least given me a screen ?? or a boot up ..

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP

1) ok well i do have a lster hdd here and that should of at least given me a screen ?? or a boot up ..

I don't know what you mean by lster hdd.

How do you know your PSU is good?