Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Making My Network Places more human

• Please log in to reply

HBinswanger

HBinswanger

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
How can I clean up and streamline XP's My Network Places? I'd like it to default to a particular computer, rather than my having to drill down 4 layers to get to it. Win98 was easier with it's Network Neighborhood. Also, how do I shorten the list, in My Network Places, of recently opened connections?

Generally, I'd like to make My Network Places act more like Network Neighborhood used to.

Advertisements

nestorey

nestorey

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
if you right-click on the network icon and select the explore option it will make your search easier by bringin up a tree like list...not sure what you mean by the recently opened connections list. haven't seen it before.

HBinswanger

HBinswanger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

if you right-click on the network icon and select the explore option it will make your search easier by bringin up a tree like list...not sure what you mean by the recently opened connections list.  haven't seen it before.

View Post

I assume you mean right-click on the icon in Explorer for My Network Places. When I do that, and choose Explore, I get a tree-like list all right, that's what I object to on two grounds:

1. It shows "Entire Network" with a plus. That expands to three choices, and I have to then expand "Microsofit Windows Network." That gives me my workgroup, which I then have to expand to see my wife's computer, which I then have to expand to get to her C: drive. Jeez! But it just occurs to me that I could make a desktop shortcut to that. But right-clicking on the appropriate C: drive icon doesn't put up a "Send to" option. Ideas?

2. The tree that comes up lists no less than 24 items, inclding "My Web Sites on MSN" which I've never been to. This is confusing and I'd like to either eliminate all these items or keep only the last couple I've used. I can right-click on them and delete them, but I think that will just mean they get replaced by a more recent 24 items.

Thanks.

nestorey

nestorey

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
i'm assuming you've already made the shortcut icon and are trying to send it to the desktop or wherever. just right click the shortcut icon and "cut" then paste it where you want it.

not sure what's going on with the 24 items. are the items there as soon as the tree opens or after you've gone down a few lwvwls. if so which level?

HBinswanger

HBinswanger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
[quote name='nestorey' date='May 28 2005, 08:39 PM']
i'm assuming you've already made the shortcut icon and are trying to send it to the desktop or wherever.

No, but your assumption implied that I could do that, so I just copied the location. I was afraid that doing a copy would copy the *contents* of that location--i.e., my wife's whole C: drive!. Then when I right-clicked on the desktop, I got the option "Paste as shortcut." Who knew? Problem solved, thanks! :tazz:

not sure what's going on with the 24 items. are the items there as soon as the tree opens

Yes, right away. You don't get that?

nestorey

nestorey

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
how many comps in your network? i'm confused about these 24 items and when they appear. maybe i'm reading it wrong but it looks like you say they appear as soon as you explore network places but above that you say only three options come up when you select explore...

i myself do not have a home network...

HBinswanger

HBinswanger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

how many comps in your network?  i'm confused about these 24 items and when they appear.  maybe i'm reading it wrong but it looks like you say they appear as soon as you explore network places but above that you say only three options come up when you select explore...

View Post

Two or three computers on the network. These items come up when I double-click on My Network Places.

I've now tried deleting most of them manually (right-click, delete). We'll see if others take their place, as I think they will. This is, I believe, a list like you get in Word under the File menu of recently opened files.

nestorey

nestorey

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
if they do reappear would you mind listing some of them? that'll give me some idea as to whats going on...i is kinda wierd that they appear when you click on the network icon being that the only thing that should come up is three options (add, entire, and near me)