Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

recovery console problem

• Please log in to reply

babyfaceassassin

babyfaceassassin

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
i've downloaded recovery console iso image here in geeks to go. i dont have any problem with my pc but to understand the topics regarding recovery console i decided to download it so i can try even though i got working or no problem pc. but everytime i run it i always got blue screen error 0x0000007E pci.sys. does it mean i got problem with my computer or on the download iso image?? but i will repeat what i said mine got working pc with no problem. i tried to burn it using another cd but i got the same error. i tried different iso burner and still got the same error. pls enlighten me. thanks

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Hey babyfaceassassin,

Microsoft has recently disallowed the use of rc.iso to create a Recovery Console disk. The process to make a Recovery Console CD is not for the faint-hearted, but our very own Artellos has created a nifty tool called ARCDC to create a recovery console disk. Please follow these instructions to custom create a recovery CD.

Download ARCDC from Artellos.com.
  • Double click ARCDC.exe
  • Follow the dialog until you see 6 options. Please pick: XP Professional SP2 & SP3 or XP Home SP2 & SP3, depending on which version of XP you have. Media Center users should use the Professional option.
  • You will be prompted with a Terms of Use by Microsoft, please accept.
  • You will see a few dos screens flash by, this is normal.
  • Next you will be able to choose to add extra files. Select Use Default Files.
  • The last window will allow you to burn the disk using BurnCDCC
Your ISO is located on your desktop.

Including SP2 & SP3 should get rid of the pci.sys error.

babyfaceassassin

babyfaceassassin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
hi the admiral thanks for the reply. in real world if i have xp disc do i really need to have the same OS and service pack for me to use the recovery console? for example i installed xp pro year which has service pack 1 and then after a year i installed service pack 3 does it mean i cant use the recovery console on my disc becoz my service pack is different or this service pack and OS thing only apply for this ARCDC?

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
No, you'll be fine. Since you installed SP3, the CD with SP3 on it is fine.

What is happening is that your XP disc needs a certain file that is included in SP2. Since SP2 isn't on the CD, it throws the bluescreen. Adding SP2 onto the CD (called slipstreaming) will allow you to boot to the CD just fine. Let us know how it goes!

babyfaceassassin

babyfaceassassin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
yeah i tried it and works fine. i want to have it for practice or to learn. i try to delete one of the registry but i cant delete it. it says another user or program is using it. i know its weird that people come here to fix their pc and im here to destroy it hehehe. thanks again admiral.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Good to hear it is working! :D