Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Virus XP Repair Fails when rebootin

• Please log in to reply

everythingsm

everythingsm

• PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
Hi New to Forum,

Last night I got hit with a virus, locked my system up and now BSOD.

XP Pro
Dell Insprion

I can not boot with F8 (any options). I have REPAIRED XP before so I have attempted it again but I follow the directions for REPAIR and after all files are loading into Windows folder i'm prompted to REMOVE Floppy from A Drive. I remove the REINSTALL CD and during reboot I get the same BSOD with same error Code. I can not get to the WIndows An
" An Exciting new look" screen ????

Error Message
0x0000007E (0xc0000006, 0x8A36D90F, 0xBA5038B4, 0xBA5035BO)

Is the virus blocking the repair ? I do not know how to clean my system if I can not go into any F8 options.

Please give direction & help ASAP.

Thanks in Advance for your Knowledge & Help

Advertisements

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts
Hi, ;)

:D

Lets give this a try throughout an External Environment, which simply means you will need to burn a boot CD with especial tools. You will also need a flash drive to move information from the troubled computer to a working computer. It is the only way we can see the progress of our actions. Save these instructions in your flash drive as a text file (use notepad) so you can have access to these while in an external environment (PE).

Here is what you need to do.
  • Download OTLPEStd.exe to your desktop. NOTE: This file is 93.5MB in size so it may take some time to download.
  • Once downloaded, insert a blank CD in your burner and click on OTLPEStd.exe.The executable includes the OTLPE_New_Std.iso and a copy of imgburn, a program to burn .iso files. When executed, the application will extract both and start the burning process automatically.
  • Once the CD is burned, boot the Non working computer using the boot CD you just created.
  • In order to do so, the computer must be set to boot from the CD first
    Note : For information click here
  • Your system should now display a REATOGO-X-PE desktop.
  • Double-click on the OTLPE icon.
  • When asked "Do you wish to load the remote registry", select Yes
  • When asked "Do you wish to load remote user profile(s) for scanning", select Yes
  • Ensure the box "Automatically Load All Remaining Users" is checked and press OK
  • OTL should now start. Change the following settings
    • Change Drivers to All
    • Change Standard Registry to All
    • Under the Custom Scan box paste this in

/md5start
      UXTHEME.DLL
      eventlog.dll
      scecli.dll
      netlogon.dll
      cngaudit.dll
      sceclt.dll
      ntelogon.dll
      logevent.dll
      iaStor.sys
      nvstor.sys
      atapi.sys
      IdeChnDr.sys
      viasraid.sys
      AGP440.sys
      vaxscsi.sys
      nvatabus.sys
      viamraid.sys
      nvata.sys
      nvgts.sys
      iastorv.sys
      ViPrt.sys
      eNetHook.dll
      ahcix86.sys
      KR10N.sys
      nvstor32.sys
      ahcix86s.sys
      nvrd32.sys
      userinit.exe
      explorer.exe
      winlogon.exe
      ntoskrnl.exe
      /md5stop
      %SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.*
      %systemroot%\*. /mp /s
      %systemroot%\System32\config\*.sav

• Press Run Scan to start the scan.
  • When finished, the file will be saved in drive C:\OTL.txt
  • Copy this file to your USB drive.
  • Please post the contents of the C:\OTL.txt file in your reply.

everythingsm

everythingsm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
thanks for your reply. Below is some info i found I hope you can answer some ?s i have done a repair with a simimialr problem and got the system up and cleaned the system with Malrare, Spybot, Adware, etc. I will go your route if i can't REPAIR XP but can you read my new info and see if you have any ideas ?

I found that my CD drive on my Insprion 530s will not read my XP REinstall Discs so I adjusted the Boot Device Config to

1) USB-CD ROm
2)CD ROM
3)Hard Drive
4) Enabled

With the Insprion 530 came XP Reinstall Disc and Drivers & Utilities Disk. I have done a XP REpair before and remember installing both disk, then installing all XP patches, intalling all Explorer upgrades etc.

I can get the USB-CD Rom to read my XP Disc but early in the transfer of Windows files to folder on C Drive there is a time where I press F6(for special drivers third party or RAID Drivers.. very quickly) the set up continues but either doesn't give me the oppty to load the Driver Disk or a message pops up

Setup could not determine the type of one or more mass storage devices installed in your system, or you have chosen to manully specify an adapter. Currnetly, Set up will load support for the following mass storage devices (s):

none

* To specify additional SCSI adapters, CD-ROM Drives, or special disk controllers for use with windows, including those for which you have a device support disk from a mass storage device manufacturer, press S

* If you do not have support disk , press ENTER

I press S, then the below message

Set Up could not find a floppy drive on your machine to load OEM drivers from Foppy disk.

* Press ESC to concel loading OEM drivers
* Press F3 to quit set up
I'm Stuck here. Not sure why XP disk are reconized but not Driver Disk

I have had problems with the CD Drive on my Insprion reading disk from day one and think that if I could get the Driver disk reconized and loaded I could get into SAFE Mode and start going after the Virus. I have a SATA drive and I read on some other post that this has been an issue with other DELL user, or SATA Drives ???

In BIOS Area

On board LANBOOT ROM (Disabled)
SATA Mode is IDE .. should I change to RAID.

This is where my thinking is coming from http://www.geekstogo...ir-windows-xp/. This worked for me one time before

Agains thanks for your help

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts
Setup will look for the SATA drivers in a floppy disk. If you do not have a floppy disk installed and the SATA drivers within it available, you wont be able to read or write the hard drive. That will applied only to the Repair of XP with the installation disk.

If you have attempted already to perform a Recovery to Factory Settings, and files and folders have been modified or replaced, then there isn't that much I can do from here. In such case, I would suggest you open a topic in the XP forum and one of the techs may be able to help you with the Recovery.

In this forum we deal with unbootable computers due to Malware, but once you attempt a Repair Install or a Recovery to Factory Settings that in any way has affected the structure of the system, there nothing we can do to restore the computer.

Let me know if I can do something else for you.