Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't Update Windows

• Please log in to reply

mkmossop

mkmossop

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I seem to have something imposing restrictions on my connections, and I have no clue what it is.

For the most part everything's fine, but there are two major problems:

1) Windows updates won't download

2) A program I need to use desperately won't work because it "can't connect to remote server"

I completely disabled Windows firewall which didn't help, and I'm pretty sure I have no other firewalls unless something is secretly running in the background.

The error code I get when windows update fails is: 80072EFD

I looked this up but couldn't find anything useful.

Anyway, if anyone had some advice on maybe how I could find out what's imposing these connection restrictions that would be amazingly helpful.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
1) Any updates in particular?
2) What program is it?

zbd

zbd

• PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
Windows Live Messenger error code 80072efd
Problem description

When you start Windows Live Messenger you cannot sign in, and you get error code 80072efd along with the message:

Sorry, we were unable to sign you into Windows Live Messenger at this time. Please try again later.

Error code: 80072efd

-->
Error code explanation and possible solution

Error code 80072efd usually occurs when there is a problem with the .NET Messenger service. one or more of the servers providing it might be down or having problems, with as result that you can no longer sign in. This normally won't take longer then a few minutes/hours. For more information you can check the .NET Messenger Service Status or our own forum.

This is how the Service Status looks with a normal situation

Please note that the Service Status is known to not always be very accurate, if problems do appear the best thing to do is wait them out. Surely there are many other very interesting things to do. If the error keeps bothering you for over a few days there are some more things you can try below.
Other steps that might help

If there are no reported problems with the Messenger servers, see if your proxy settings are correct: click "Tools" and then "Options" at your Messenger main window. In the options screen click "Connection" in the list to the left. Next, click the "Advanced Settings..." button. If you (likely) do not use a proxy server, try unchecking all the checkboxes except for the one labeled TCP and see if you can connect now. (You might have to fully close and start Messenger again before retrying to connect). If you are on a large network, the network administrator can probably tell you if you should have proxy settings in Messenger.

In Internet Explorer: click Tools, then Internet Options, select the "connections" tab. Try unchecking (if checked) "Use a proxy server for LAN" and check "Automatically detect settings". This should enable both Internet Explorer and Messenger to automatically find the best way to connect to the internet.

If the error continues to appear it is most likely because the Windows digital signatures system is damaged or corrupt. To resolve this you will have to register several dll files that are required for Messenger. You can do this automatically by running a batch file we created or if you prefer by executing the commands yourself.
Automatic solution

First you will have to download this zip file which includes a batch file that can register the dll files for you. After downloading unzip it and run register-messenger-dll-files.bat, a black screen will pop up and update you on the process. When done your Messenger should work again!
Manual solution

First open a run window by clicking start, then run. Now, type the following command and press enter:

regsvr32 softpub.dll Wintrust.dll Initpki.dll Rsaenh.dll Mssip32.dll Cryptdlg.dll

If you use Windows XP you should open another run window after running the previous commands then type the following command:

regsvr32 Dssenh.dll Gpkcsp.dll Slbcsp.dll Sccbase.dll
http://www.imzers.co...r-code-80072efd

http://msn-errors.bl...error-code.html

mkmossop

mkmossop

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
It's any of the optional updates... they just wouldn't download. And the program was an autoblogging program.

Anyway, they problem seems to be fixed now. I tried what it said in the second post which didn't work, but one of the links had a link to registry cleaner which I downloaded and ran (which found a TON of problems).

Anyway, I cleaned the stuff up and restarted my computer and things seem to be good. Man I had tried everything before this... THANK YOU!