Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Router is blocking sites

• Please log in to reply

toinfernal

toinfernal

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I have a router MSI RG54SE II and it's blocking me from entering a site. I try to load it, it shows it has load the page but it won't display the page, blank. I know the problem comes from the router because I also have wireless, and this one is loading the page. some help, please...

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
"I know the problem comes from the router because I also have wireless, and this one is loading the page".

If your wireless connection uses the same router then I wouldn't have thought it's the router that's causing the problem. That just isn't logical. If it was the router, both the wired and wireless connection would exhibit the same problem since they both have to go through the same router.

More likely it's some software or setting problem on the computer you're having the trouble with.
If it's wired to the router, try changing the ethernet cable (use as short a cable as possible, not one that's several feet too long).

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 31 January 2011 - 10:07 AM.

chemicalbrother

chemicalbrother

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Would have to agree with the poster above that if the problem exists on wired LAN and not wireless then it suggests a problem with the pc connected to the wired router not the router itself as the router would block based on a policy that has been set up and would apply to both types of network. Could be a multitude of reasons, one of them being it could be a website that antivirus software or internet security software that is on the pc is blocking, when you use wireless with another device you may not have this software on that device hence its not being blocked

try changing the ethernet cable (use as short a cable as possible, not one that's several feet too long).

Patch cords (ethernet cable) can be up to 10m in length i.e. 30 foot long with no detremental effect to the signal on the LAN :D

Edit : This is because you are using a straight through cable not a cross over cable, this is to do with the way the plug is terminated on the end of the patch cable. This link explains the difference between the 2 and shows you how to make a cross over cable if you are directly connecting 2 pcs together without the aid of a switch or router

http://www.littlewhi.../content-8.html

Edited by chemicalbrother, 12 February 2011 - 12:05 PM.

toinfernal

toinfernal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
no, it's not with the router

toinfernal

toinfernal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
but anyway, i solved the problem. thanks for help

chemicalbrother

chemicalbrother

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Happy days ! :D

chemicalbrother

chemicalbrother

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
What was the problem ? lol interested now !