Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

I think I broke it

• Please log in to reply

hexgirl311

hexgirl311

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I took apart an old computer and did not realize there were different kinds of memory. I tried to add the old memory (64MB synch 133 MHz CL3) to my computer, and it fit, but did not work. So I removed it and put back just my current memory (128MB DDR 266MHz CL2.5). Now all I get when I turn my computer on is three beeps (plus the usual fans whirring). I thought I might have been to rough with the stick and damaged it, so I purchased the exact same kind of memory (just different manufacturer). It does not work either. Three beeps, nothing on the screen. Perhaps I broke the slot or motherboard? I have a 0 slot and a 1 slot, and neither memory works in either slot. Is there any way to figure out exactly what is wrong? I hope to not have to take it up to the Geek Squad at Best Buy, they seem to charge a lot. I have a Gateway 500SE and Windows XP, if that helps. I could also take a picture of its guts to post if that might help as well. Thanks to anyone who has any advice.

Edited by hexgirl311, 27 May 2005 - 03:36 PM.

Advertisements

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
did you make sure that both clips on the slot are open. Push the ram in hard enough so that the clips go back in place around the ram. It is probably not in all the way or upside down

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
The memory stick from the old machine that you inserted, was it a SDRAM DIMM? ie. are there 2 notches in the copper contacts on the bottom edge of the module or just the one, like the modules that you are using now?

hexgirl311

hexgirl311

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Two notches.

Pretty sure I've pushed it in hard enough. The clips do snap around it.

Edited by hexgirl311, 27 May 2005 - 03:47 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Right, well if the old stuff has two notches on the bottom (I don't mean the ones that the clips fit in, BTW) and the memory you normally use in your system is DDR, then you tried to insert completely the wrong type of ram.

Did you try the old stuff in both ram slots or not?

Also, can you give us the exact specs of the new module you bought?

hexgirl311

hexgirl311

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yes, two notches at the bottom, one on each side, after the breakdown I did a little research around (which I should have done first, I know, if I could kick my own [bleep], I would) and realized it was completley wrong. I did this last week, so I can't be sure I tried it in both slots, but knowing me I probably did. The new stick I bought, its sticker says the following:

Samsung 0234
Korea
PC2100U-25330-A0
M368L1713DTL-CB0Q0
128MB DDR PC2100 CL2.5

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, it's possible that you have damaged the slot trying to get the old ram to fit. However, it seems unlikely that both slots would get damaged in this way, unless you tried to insert it with a hammer of course.

I don't mean to sound patronising but I have to ask you this : Are you absolutely sure the ram is inserted correctly now? Its easy to get them back to front (or as hudihoo suggested, upside down! bless!) but its also easy to get them the right way round but with one end out of whack.

I've done this myself before (fortunately I realised before powering system on). Take my advice & grab a torch or spot lamp & point it inside the case. Move any drive cabling etc that maybe in the way & remove then reinsert the ram.
Just insert one of the 2 sticks for now (i suggest the original one because at least we know thats compatible) & try it in both slots.

hexgirl311

hexgirl311

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Tried original stick in slot 0, did not work. Tried it in slot 1, did not work. Repeated with the stick I bought. Still three beeping at me. I know it is not upside down, and I'm pretty sure it is not backwords, because the notch in the slot prevents it from being inserted that way, right?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
What cpu do you have in your gateway? The socket type or cpu speed will do if you don't know exactly.