Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't boot or displays blue screen

• Please log in to reply

andressa

andressa

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
Hello, my mom just called me this morning to take a look at her PC which is not working.
When the power button is pressed, lights come on and the fans start but most of the times nothing else happens.
Once or twice, I hear the usual beep and boots, displaying the security screen. When I selected to start windows normally, it started, loaded and then I got a blue screen, the one that says that changes were made and that the computer stopped working to prevent damage.. This is a fairly old computer and nothing was changed. Taking a look inside I saw the chipset fan wasnt working. Could this be the problem?
What can I do to solve it?
Motherboard model is MSI MS-7125, the chipset fan has an AMD logo on. I'm running windows 7.
Let me know if more info is needed.
Thanks for the help! :D

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

... I saw the chipset fan wasnt working. Could this be the problem?

Yes.

(They wouldn't have gone to the expense if it wasn't needed).

What can I do to solve it?

Replace the fan.

andressa

andressa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
It's just that I read someplace else that the pc could still run without it.
But anyway, can I buy any type of fan? is there anything I should look for exactly? And how do I replace it? Anything else I should know??
Thanks for your help.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

It's just that I read someplace else that the pc could still run without it.

Yes, it can probably run without it ... for a while. Once it melts though, that's it, it'll never work again.

But anyway, can I buy any type of fan?

Yes, most any fan but, I'd try and get one with ball-bearings.

is there anything I should look for exactly?

You need the same volt/amp, same size, same mounting hole locations, same connector.

And how do I replace it?

I can't see it from here but, you usually start with unplugging the connector and removing the screws.

Anything else I should know??

If this sounds too complicated, take it to a computer repair shop, (such as "Best Buy" here in the US).

andressa

andressa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Okay, so...
I know the size, the hole locations and type of connector. How do I find out the volt/amp? If I take the old one to the computer store, will they be able to know?
And no, it's not too complicated, I just wanna make sure everything is right because is not my computer.
Again, thanks for your help and time.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

How do I find out the volt/amp?

It's usually marked.

A multimeter would give you the voltage.

If I take the old one to the computer store, will they be able to know?

More than likely, yes.

andressa

andressa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Thank you SO much for your help! :D
I'll let you know how it all goes..

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
You're welcome. :D

andressa

andressa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Okay, I took my pc to a repair shop to get a free estimate and they did a hardware test and said it's a software problem.
I guess I'll post on the other forum now?
Thanks for your help anyway!

andressa

andressa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
I had to speak to the guy from the repair shop and I really think he knows NOTHING. He pretty much said the computer didnt need the chipset fan to work.
Is that correct?
I mean, yes, when I manage to load windows, sometimes it crashes and I agree that its a software problem but the fact that only turns on when is not in use for a while tells me that it might be overheating, right?
Anyway, I'll check to see the temperature and then just take someplace else to replace the stupid fan.
Thoughts on that issue anyone?
Thanks again!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,770 posts
You can obtain the MB manual from here http://www.retrevo.c...17246dj093/t/2/ use this for checking the layout of your MB, CPU fan, SFan1, SFan2 and NBFan etc.
Northbridge/Chipset fans available here http://www.svc.com/chipset-cooler.html
This task will take less than an hour for someone who has not done it before and certainly does not require the services of someone who advises you do not need the cooling fan when the MB has a stock one fitted.
Couple of Qs to ask have you observed the fan for a while prior to the PC shutting down, the fan may be operated by a thermal sensor on the MB meaning it only operates when it gets to a certain temperature, have you checked in the BIOS that the fan is enabled.

andressa

andressa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Hey, thanks a bunch for replying!
No, I haven't checked but now it's freezing even before I can enter BIOS. The fan is pretty dirty (lots of dust) and I dont think it's working at all. I will observe to see if it works at all.
Question: I've been trying to fix it for a while and that, of course, means turning (an leaving) it on. Could I damage the MB if the problem is the fan? Like now, it's freezing at the logo.
Do you think it's the fan or could it be something else?
Again, thank you very much for your help!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,770 posts
No worries I am happy to help if I can.

No, I haven't checked but now it's freezing even before I can enter BIOS. The fan is pretty dirty (lots of dust) and I don't think it's working at all. I will observe to see if it works at all

Dust is one of the main killers of computer components so cleaning the inside of the case must be done regularly, this includes all fans + the HS (heat-sink) on the CPU and the Ram and add on card slots.
To clean the HS you may only need to remove 4 screws and lift the fan off, you will then be able to clean between the fins on the HS, if you have to remove the HS you will need to clean off the old TIM (see the topic by Digerati here
http://www.geekstogo...rface-material/ ) clean the HS and fan, reapply a fresh amount of TIM and then reassemble the HS and fan.
If a fan gets so clogged that it jams up the fan will burn out, the CPU (processor) will overheat and either fry or if the MB has a thermal sensor to protect the CPU from issues such as this it will shut the system down, your symptoms are classic signs of this.

Question: I've been trying to fix it for a while and that, of course, means turning (an leaving) it on. Could I damage the MB if the problem is the fan? Like now, it's freezing at the logo.

Yes, do not turn the computer on again until it has been cleaned out thoroughly.

Do you think it's the fan or could it be something else?

As I have said the symptoms are classic signs of a thermal issue as in the CPU overheating as it gets a lot hotter a lot quicker than a chipset.

Your CPUs heat-sink and fan should look something like the one in the picture

andressa

andressa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Wow, thanks! That was very helpful! I will do as you say and will post as soon as it's done. I won't turn the computer on again until it's done but I think even cleaning wont do. Apparently, I need a 3-pin head connector, +12V, 2 holes to connect to the MB.
And I know to replace the fan I have to unscrew the MB from the casing, so I might have that done by a professional, specially because I've never done this before. I think I can get it all done for less than 25 bucks.
Any thoughts? Should I do it myself?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,770 posts
Would it be possible for you to take a picture of the inside of your case and in particular the fan that is not working, attach it to your next post if you can.

Apparently, I need a 3-pin head connector, +12V, 2 holes to connect to the MB.

This is already available on the MB, the reason why I provided a link to the MB manual was so you could check the MBs layout.

And I know to replace the fan I have to unscrew the MB from the casing,

This is not normally necessary which is the reason why I have requested a picture of the fan concerned.

Any thoughts? Should I do it myself?

See the above, only if you feel confident but remember we are here to walk you through it.