Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't boot or displays blue screen

• Please log in to reply

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
And just to add my 2 cents to what phillpower2 and SpywareDr have already said.

The CPU fan pulls the heat from the heat sink on the CPU. Without it, the cpu will overheat and the computer will shut down. It could also damage the CPU beyond use.
It does need to be replaced.

Advertisements

andressa

andressa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Thank you very much!
If you guys are so generously willing to help, then I'm confident I can do it! Thanks a bunch again!
So I took some pics yesterday. Camera kinda sucks so quality might not be great.

Attached Thumbnails

• SANY0762.JPG
  • SANY0758.JPG

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Try a really good clean out before replacing the fan, it may save you a lot of time and trouble to do so.
In picture 1 you can see that you only need to remove 4 screws in order to be able to clean out the fins on
the HS and the CPU fan itself thoroughly and then reassemble it.
Picture 2 shows that the north bridge fan is not as clogged as the CPU or rear extraction fan, only clean it
for now, if this fan does need replacing you will need to remove the MB as the fan is fixed to the MB with
spring loaded pins, these need to be pressed together on the underside of the MB in order to push out the pin.
You are going to need a can of compressed air before proceeding http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B0000934G1
While the case is open the opportunity should be taken to clean out all heat trapping dust, do not allow fans
to spin freely use something like a clean Popsicle stick to hold them still, remove the Ram and add on card/s
blow out the slots then reseat the cards securely, and finally make sure that all connections are secure.
Leave the side off the case when you are ready to power up, this will give you a chance to observe the fans.

andressa

andressa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Just one thing: the fan that doesnt work is not the CPU fan, it's the chipset (north bridge)fan..
That's why I was saying that I know I have to remove the MB. :D

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Yes we are aware of that, but the amount of dust in the computer is more likely to be causing the issue than the north bridge fan, especially the clogged HS beneath the CPU fan, this is effectively locking the heat on top of the processor as the fan is unable to draw the heat away due to the blocked fins.
On a side note, as I said previously the NB fan may be activated by a thermal sensor meaning it does not function all the time.

andressa

andressa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Okay, will do! Oh, I don't know if it was coincidence, I unplugged the NB fan and only then I was able to boot the computer again. Before that it would freeze and hang at the logo screen. Can that be an indicator that the NB fan is faulty?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Possibly, but again cleaning out the dust needs to be done so do that and reattach the NB fan and see what happens.
Dust can cause all sorts of problems including short circuits and even fires,

andressa

andressa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Oh, yeah! I will most definitely clean it! I dont think my parents ever took the time to do so! haha
I'll go and buy some cans of compressed air tomorrow and will let you know how it all goes!
Thanks again!

andressa

andressa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Wow, finally!
After A LOT of dust and sneezes, I finally manage to get a good look on how it all was inside my parent's beloved computer. So I manage to squeeze myself inside the case and what do I see? The wire on the NB fan short-circuited and it was actually a little burnt and a bit of the inner wires is exposed!
Could that be THE reason after all??
Oh, and I did not remove the CPU fan, but oh boy did I try! haha.. There's a lever and clips and hooks.. But I did clean it all as much as I could (no dust as far as I can see all around) without removing it.
Soooo, my dear masters... What do I do now? Replace the stupid NB fan myself? Send it to a repair shop? Burn the whole thing as a sacrifice to the Tech gods?
Thanks again!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

The wire on the NB fan short-circuited and it was actually a little burnt and a bit of the inner wires is exposed!
Could that be THE reason after all??

I think you have had 2 issues, 1: When you could only get some signs of life from the computer it may have been an overheating issue caused by the dust build up, From post #18

Try a really good clean out before replacing the fan, it may save you a lot of time and trouble to do so.
In picture 1 you can see that you only need to remove 4 screws in order to be able to clean out the fins on the HS and the CPU fan itself thoroughly and then reassemble it.

Cleaning the HS and CPU fan correctly is a must or you are wasting your time, the HS fins need to be clear to enable the CPU fan to draw the heat up and away from the processor, if they are blocked the CPU ends up getting baked.
2: The failed NB fan, it is possible that the bared wire has shorted the MB and caused one of the issues but not the fact that it is not working causing an overheating problem, clean the CPU fan and HS properly and disconnect the NB fan from the header to prevent any shorting on the MB, power up, let us know how it goes.

Advertisements

andressa

andressa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
I tried but I dont know how to remove the fan. The 4 holes that you can see in the pic are NOT screws... This is the instruction to secure it:

5. Position the cooling set onto the retention
mechanism.
Hook one end of the clip to hook first,
and then press down the other end
of the clip to fasten the cooling set
on the top of the retention mechanism.
6. Locate the Fix Lever, Safety Hook
and the Fixed Bolt.
Lift up the intensive fixed lever.
7. Fasten down the lever.
8. Make sure the safety hook completely
clasps the fixed bolt of the retention
mechanism.
9. Attach the CPU Fan cable to the CPU
fan connector on the mainboard.

Technically, I'd have to do it all backwards but I can't dislodge it after I lift the lever.
I've attached some pics from the mobo manual.

I will try again but also I see that the fins are completely clean. Would that be enough?

Attached Thumbnails

• img1.JPG
  • img2.JPG
  • img3.JPG

Edited by andressa, 21 February 2011 - 12:04 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

The 4 holes that you can see in the pic are NOT screws...

Hard to tell from the the screen shot, is the fan moulded to the HS below it?

Technically, I'd have to do it all backwards but I can't dislodge it after I lift the lever.
I've attached some pics from the mobo manual.

I will try again but also I see that the fins are completely clean. Would that be enough?

If you are happy that the fins are completely clean then there is no need to remove the HS and
fan assembly, disconnect the NB fan connection from the MB header and neatly cover the bared wire
with a small amount of insulation/electrical tape and then tuck the wire away temporarily while you
test the system, let us know how it goes.

NB: Even if the system does run without the NB fan I still recommend replacing it or adding another
source of cooling for the chip.

andressa

andressa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Yes, it comes off as a whole unit. Kinda hard to remove.. haha
Yes, it's completely clean. I believe it should be okay.
I will let you know how it goes.
Again, thanks!

andressa

andressa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Okay, so I've tried turning the pc on. The first time I heard the beep, went to logo and then POST and then just a blinking cursor on top of the screen.
Second and third time, no beep, just black screen.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Possible dust problem again, this time in the Ram or video card slot/s.
With the power cord removed from the wall, ground yourself by touching a
bare metal part of the case, remove each card individually, blow out the
slot then re-seat the card securely, check for any loose connections that
may have occurred whilst you were cleaning inside, once done try it again.