Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

This copy of Windows is not genuine

• Please log in to reply

kingsw

kingsw

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have just installed win7 only to have the message “ windows 7, Build 7600. This copy of Windows is not genuine”. Well it is genuine I bought It, a upgrade copy in dec 2009 from a official Microsoft site, this is the first time I have attempted to install it.
I have bought a new hard drive to do the installation on, disconnected my old hard drive and because it is a upgrade win 7 disc I installed my copy of win xp in C (I did not activate the xp, is that were I have gone wrong?) I then installed win 7 as a custom installation in C drive only to be told it was not genuine.

Advertisements

medic13

medic13

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I would try to activate your other operating system first then try

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Go to your Start Pearl and search for Activate Windows and press Enter. This will open the Windows Activation dialog. If it says "Activation was successful", post back and we'll see what is throwing this error message. If not, I have found that Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to activate Windows. is really nice, the Microsoft techs are pretty understanding and will activate it, no drama. I had to do this a few times as we rebuilt computers in the house. Give it a shot, I'm sure you won't have a problem.

Assuming it's legal and you have a product key.