Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help! How do I reboot a stubborn Compaq Presario Notebook?

• Please log in to reply

GeekTrainee

GeekTrainee

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Subject: How do I reboot a stubborn Compaq Presario Notebook?

Computer:
Compaq Presario 2100 Notebook, Home Edition (2004)

Problem description:
The computer quit working correctly. When it starts now, it simply brings up a message that reads:

"COMPAQ
Press "ESC" to escape, or press F2 to boot from LAN"

That message disappears quickly and then the screen is blank.

* Pressing "ESC" doesn't do anything. The screen remains blank.
* Pressing F2 doesn't do anything. The screen remains blank.

Computer activity prior to problem:
A CD containing 3 single-page text files had been inserted into the CD/ROM drive. The computer was able to access the files from the CD without any trouble. Then, the CD was removed and the computer was ignored for awhile, which brought up the screensaver. When the mouse was used to make the screensaver disappear and return the computer to Windows, the only thing that came up was a blank screen.

Things that have been tried to solve the problem:

* Hitting CTRL+ALT+DEL twice to turn the computer off and then bring it back up (nothing changed).
* Using the power button to turn the computer off and then back on (nothing changed).
* Turning the computer off, unplugging it from the power source, disconnecting all devices and then reconnecting them, and then turning the computer back on (nothing changed).
* Turning the computer on and holding down F8 to try to bring up an options menu as the computer attempted to come up (didn't work).

Help! What else can I do? How can I reboot this computer? How do I get to an options menu?

Thank you so much for your help!

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Sounds like the hard drive may have up and died and the computer simply can't find anything to boot from.

Check to see of it the hard drive is detected in the CMOS/BIOS Setup and let us know what you find ...

Edited by SpywareDr, 01 February 2011 - 06:12 AM.

GeekTrainee

GeekTrainee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for your note and the suggestion. I tried to get into the
CMOS/BIOS setup - but the computer isn't responding to the
command.

The only thing that comes up is the Compaq logo with the message I
described in my original post. And it doesn't stay up long. When it
disappears, the screen goes blank. The computer makes whirring
noises like it's trying to respond, but nothing happens.

Don't know what to try next. Any more suggestions?

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Thanks for your note and the suggestion. I tried to get into the
CMOS/BIOS setup - but the computer isn't responding to the
command.

The only thing that comes up is the Compaq logo with the message I
described in my original post. And it doesn't stay up long. When it
disappears, the screen goes blank. The computer makes whirring
noises like it's trying to respond, but nothing happens.

Don't know what to try next. Any more suggestions?

On the last Compaq I messed with, to get into the BIOS you had to press the [F10] key when the cursor jumped to the top right corner of the Compaq logo screen.

If that doesn't work, turn the computer all the way off, wait a few seconds, turn it back on and then immediately start tapping the [F10] key (once a second or so).

GeekTrainee

GeekTrainee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks again! I'm making some progress now. By following your
latest advice, I was able to move beyond the logo screen.

When the system runs through the initial startup, I don't think it's
indicating any trouble with the CMOS battery, but when it's done,
it notes "Operating system not found".

I was able to move from there into the BIOS setup utility, where I
was hoping to run diagnostics, but the computer says they
are "Not available on this system".

I would like to try to restore the system to the "Last known
good configuration", but I haven't been able to find that on an
option menu yet. Gonna keep looking. Do you think that might
work, and, any advice on locating that option?

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Thanks again! I'm making some progress now. By following your latest advice, I was able to move beyond the logo screen.

Excellent.

When the system runs through the initial startup, I don't think it's indicating any trouble with the CMOS battery, but when it's done, it notes "Operating system not found".

If the date/time are close to right, the CMOS battery is fine.

Check to see of it the hard drive is detected in the CMOS/BIOS Setup. If you don't see the model# in there somewhere, the hard drive is not being detected. This could be caused by a loose connections or, more than likely, a dead hard drive. :D

I was able to move from there into the BIOS setup utility, where I was hoping to run diagnostics, but the computer says they are "Not available on this system".

Most still don't include diagnostics. Doesn't really matter though if the hard drive is not even being detected.

I would like to try to restore the system to the "Last known good configuration", but I haven't been able to find that on an option menu yet. Gonna keep looking. Do you think that might work, and, any advice on locating that option?

The "Last known good configuration" option is part of Windows ... which is installed on the hard drive ... the hard drive that is apparently not even being detected ... because it's probably dead. :D

ALL hard drives die. That's why backups are so important. If you value something on your computer, back it up, (i.e., copy it to something else).

GeekTrainee

GeekTrainee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks - The hard drive is still intact. It's duly noted in the BIOS. Trying to find a way to restore the system now.

The computer in question doesn't belong to me. I've discussed backups with the owner, who NOW understands how important they are. If I can restore the system to ANY point in time, he will be happy. Basically, he just uses the computer to write letters that he prints and sends out right away. (He keeps hard copies for himself.)

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

The hard drive is still intact. It's duly noted in the BIOS. Trying to find a way to restore the system now.

Try this:

• Boot the computer from the Windows XP CD.
  • When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen press [Enter] to start the Windows Setup.

Note: Do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).
  • Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.
  • Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and then press [R] to start the repair. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.
  • Do not press any key to boot from CD if and when such a message appears. Setup will then continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

How to perform a re-install of WinXP
http://support.micro...kb;EN-US;315341

Repair XP
http://www.webtree.c...Existing Setup:

WinXP Non-destructive Total Rebuild
http://www.informati...cleID=189400897