Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing a second HDD

• Please log in to reply

Harty001

Harty001

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am installing a HDD to my new computer. It is the HDD that I had in my OLD computer before the power supply died. There are files on there I would like to access if possible, but the tutorials on installing a second HDD refer to partitioning and formatting. I want to be able to access it when I install it (but I will format it clean once I extract the info I want). Is it possible to do this? How?

Thanks in advance for any info...

Harty

Advertisements

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
sure, its pretty easy to do. you will want to install the drive on the same cable as your main hard drive. make sure the jumpers on your main drive are set to master, and the one your adding is set to slave.

then just power up, and you should be able to see the drive and access the files.
if not, you will need to check the BIOS to make sure it is detecting the second drive.

any questions, post back!

Harty001

Harty001

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks! I have it all up and running now. Easier that I anticipated :tazz: Still, it was somewhat intimidating when I started. I appreciate your help.

Harty

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
glad to hear you got it going. it never hurts to ask if your not sure about something. happy to help out!